• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How powerful is abilty SA things usually immune to SA?

darthkilmor

First Post
Two veins to this question:
-What would the ~approximate value be of a magic item that allowed sneak attacks versus a specific type that is immune to sneak attacks? (I'm not even sure what slot would be appropriate for this?) Like say, something that let you SA undead or constructs or oozes or etc.

-Also, would the rogue's "Special Abilities" they get at 10th/13/16/19 be a balanced way to give a rogue the ability to SA a type usually immune to SA? I.e. , instead of say, Slippery Mind or Improved Evasion, they some something say, call it Clockwork Destroyer(or whatever), that let the rogue sneak attack constructs? ( I know this is kinda house ruley, I apologize. Just trying the gauge how powerful you all think this would be)

Thanks!

Shayuri

First Post
In Magic Item Compendium there are several items that give that power, or variations of that power. Complete...Scoundrel I think also features spell that can give SA ability to Undead, Constructs, and the like (separate spell for each).

I think the ability to sneak attack ANYthing immune is too much for a special ability, but limiting it to a specific creature type is probably not out of line.

Maleketh

First Post
Rogues are balanced in part because the can't sneak attack everything. Allowing them to use their special abilities to get around this is far to powerful IMO.

Kmart Kommando

First Post
I saw something like that somewhere. They sacrificed SA dice to gain effects, so no full SA vs. undead and/or constructs, but not completely useless either.

Brazeku

First Post
Galeros said:
The group I play with lets Rogues sneak attack any monster type. We have not found it too unbalancing.

I have done so as well. The ability is already situational enough that the restriction on monster types is basically a kick in the teeth as opposed to a balancing issue.

AnonymousOne

First Post
There is a Penetrating strike Alternative to the rogue class which sacrifices the Trap Sense bonus to reflex saves and gets 1/2 SA damage to undead.

Alas I can't remember which book it's in.

javcs

First Post
Kmart Kommando said:
I saw something like that somewhere. They sacrificed SA dice to gain effects, so no full SA vs. undead and/or constructs, but not completely useless either.
I think it's PHB2.

Zurai

First Post
AnonymousOne said:
There is a Penetrating strike Alternative to the rogue class which sacrifices the Trap Sense bonus to reflex saves and gets 1/2 SA damage to undead.

Alas I can't remember which book it's in.

Actually, it's called Death's Ruin and it's in Complete Champion. There's also a rogue bonus ability (their level 10+ abilities like Improved Evasion) that lets you deal 2 positive energy damage per die of sneak attack you qualify for on undead targets.

In a game with only the core rules and maybe a few supplements, the ability to SA undead or similar creatures is almost broken. In a game that corporates all WotC published material, it is almost a necessity (to keep up with some of your companions).

What type of game are you playing? What materials are being used? What are some of the other builds being allowed?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads