• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How Shadowy is Shadowy Illumination?

KingCrab

First Post
For light sources (like a sunrod) there is a certain radius of clear illumination (30 ft) and one of shadowy illumination beyond that (60 ft). When I'm drawing corridors on the map, how far into the shadowy illumination should I draw? How much should I allow them to see in the shadows?

Diggus Rex

First Post
I'd sketch the 30ft since it's clear.

Low light vision havers can see another 30ft from that, and Darkvisioners get their full radius. I sketch what they can see assuming they communicate it to the others.

Someone

Adventurer
It's shadowy enough to have a chance to hide in plain sight, and also shadowy enough to make you fail 1 of every 5 attacks it'd connect otherwise.

Jhaelen

First Post
KingCrab said:
For light sources (like a sunrod) there is a certain radius of clear illumination (30 ft) and one of shadowy illumination beyond that (60 ft). When I'm drawing corridors on the map, how far into the shadowy illumination should I draw? How much should I allow them to see in the shadows?
The whole 60 ft. The party should have no difficulty seeing the outlines of rooms/corridors or any major obstacles.

TheGogmagog

First Post
In theory you should draw the 60'. It would probably be fair to leave details like doors off the map until they are within the 30'. I take it there's something specific that's at issue? Usually in practice I draw out whatever fit's on the map while the players discuss.

Just like it doesn't matter what direction you are facing, if it's within 60' you see it. The only mechanical difference is when you try to attack it. That's when the shadowy illumination 20% miss chance kicks in.

argo

First Post
Shadowy illumination provides concealment (20% miss chance). For refrence that is the same as smoke, or for the adjacent square in fog.

So I would say you should draw in gross features like walls and large objects. But you might require spot checks for finer details such as writting on the walls or pits in the floor.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads