• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How should familiars be handled in 5e?

kevtar

First Post
I was rolling up a 1st edition drow magic user tonight. The PC was 4th level and as I was choosing spells, I decided to choose "Find Familiar." First, I spent the $ for components, etc... then I rolled a D20 and got a 15! - that's a special familiar. We look at my options and decide to choose Pseudodragon. We roll for magic resistance and all that stuff and the familiar answered.

All of this got me thinking about how familiars should be handled in 5e. I've had a love/hate relationship with familiars over the years, but I definitely think they should be included in 5e, the question is "how?" I don't think familiars should be a baseline class feature. They should be optional. However, if players choose to have a familiar, how should they gain access to a familiar, what are the benefits, and what are the drawbacks?

Personally, I think how players get access to familiars depends on how a familiar affects the PC - the pros & cons so to speak. For instance, if a familiar has very little impact on a PC (both bonuses and consequences for familiar death - if any), then I think the familiar should be granted via a "Find Familiar" spell. It's not a big investment (like a feat) and it can be recast if the familiar dies.

If the familiar has a larger impact on the PC, then perhaps a feat is the best method of acquisition. Investing in a feat should provide a fairly robust trade-off for the player.

Another option would be a choice from amongst other class features, but if this is the case, I believe the benefits should be slight with little or no negative consequences for familiar death. Class features that bite you in the rear are not very fun.

What do you think?

Mattachine

Adventurer
I think about how many PC wizards I saw in AD&D find ways to get rid of their familiar to roll on the table again, or simply ask to make a new wizard because they got a lousy familiar.

I liked the 3e version of familiars the most, to be honest. Fourth edition has a nice take on them, too.

No matter the way they are done, I would like them to optional. Many fantasy wizards do not have familiars. My PC magic-users have never had them.

delericho

Legend
They should be optional, of course.

They should probably use powers similar to the paladin's mount, the ranger and druid's animal companions, and indeed the followers of any character who them. That is, when first taken they have a certain set of baseline statistics, which can then be improved by selecting feats and powers to that purpose.

So, pretty much like 3e, really, except for being optional.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I am for starting characters to have to choose between a familiar or something else at first. It could be equivalent to school specialization or implement specialization. Though... feats... characters can pick up the ability they didn't take.

I like 3e familiars the best but I didn't like how mounts and companions worked then. I prefer that your animal friend gains a lot of power quickly if you take the starting weaker versions to avoid trade ups too.

Harlander

First Post
In regard to actually getting your familiar, I'd prefer either picking it at the start (or roleplaying setting out to attract a specific familiar in the case of a special one) to a random table.

I'm not sure how to deal with "Familiars only appear when you need them to do something" syndrome that often appears, though.

Chris_Nightwing

First Post
In regard to actually getting your familiar, I'd prefer either picking it at the start (or roleplaying setting out to attract a specific familiar in the case of a special one) to a random table.

I'm not sure how to deal with "Familiars only appear when you need them to do something" syndrome that often appears, though.

Familiars do only appear when they're useful, so maybe they should be summons/spirits/otherwise unusual creatures?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I would like to see familiars leveling up and evolving somewhat in order to avoid the "trade up" syndrome among PC's who want a better familiar. Perhaps they could have templates at higher levels--or at least some options.

So Sparky the Chipmunk could become Sparkly the Celestial Chipmunk, or Sparkay the Chaos-Imbued Chipmunk, for example.

steeldragons

Steeliest of the dragons
Epic
Wizards/mages and sorcerers get the "Find Familiar spell/ritual" as an optional class ability to be selected by the player. This need not be cast/chosen at start of play, but can only be conducted when a PC is leveling up (flavor as some kind of "the ritual can only be cast when the moon is full and the stars align" or some such).

The results of the casting are similarly up to the player: 1) Roll on this handy dandy random table X of suitable critters, roll of X use the "Special Magical Creatures" table X.1 or 2) Pick one from this handy dandy table of suitable critters or 3) Don't bother with the table. Pick whatever you want/would like/envision for your character and get the DM's "Ok."

For those who want "Special familiars" (i.e. the cool ones everyone wants), that is something for you to work out with your DM who may or may not allow them.

For Witches, if there is going to be such an independent class in 5e, I think familiars should be automatic given class features. Player's choice, within certain setting/DM's parameters of course (No, you can't have an elephant. You can't have an owlbear, either...no, nor a giant owl you can ride around on...Small earth elemental that looks like a wood wose but made of dirt and leaves and twigs and mud, you say? Hmm. Lemme think about it.)

They just seem so much more a part of the "Witch" fantasy archetype than they are for other magic-users. Now, if a player with a witch character doesn't want a familiar...fine n' dandy.

Powers should, probably scale up somehow...thought the idea of having to track familiar XP or come up with something every other level to match the MU just sounds like a pain. Maybe 3 different levels (beginner/newb-familiar, intermediate and advanced super-powered familair of doom).

Warlocks I would grant an imp or nasty mephit or something (particularly if unasked for ;) that is constantly hovering around (but can be invisible to do spying and other nasty things for the Warlock...and themselves, of course) and egging on the warlock to ever greater feats for their master...er..."patron."

Harlander

First Post
This need not be cast/chosen at start of play, but can only be conducted when a PC is leveling up (flavor as some kind of "the ritual can only be cast when the moon is full and the stars align" or some such).

What's your rationale behind only allowing the "familiar-getting ritual" at level-up, as opposed to at any time once you've got the feat/spell? Or do you mean you can gain the feat/spell at the same time as you get other such things, i.e at level-up?

Elf Witch

First Post
Familiars are one of my favorite things as a wizard or a sorcerer.

I think it should be an option you get to pick. If you don't want a familiar maybe you get instead eschew materials.

I think the mage should get to choose what they want. And I like the idea of of regular animals leveling up to a higher creature if that is what the player wants.

I would like to see options for feats like have an extra familiar for those of us who want a regular familiar and later a special familiar but don't want to give up our first familiar.

I would also like to see a way for other classes to get a familiar. Why can't a bard or a cleric or even a rogue forge a special relationship with an animal. Take psuedodragons they are intelligent and have free will who is to say that they would not choose to befriend a non magic user.

To answer the question on how to make them more in evidence then when the player needs them one way is for DMs not to go out of their way to target familiars. My players know I don't target familiars unless you do something really stupid with it. So my players are more willing to use their familiars to scout something out.

I remember once sending my mouse familiar under the door to see where the bad guys were. The DM immediately set a cat on it. Yes cats are dangerous to mice but mice were plentiful so why my mouse.

If owls are common in an area why would anyone just jump to the conclusion that the supposed sleeping owl in the tree is really a familiar so you kill it. Other that kind of logic there would be no animals left because of the paranoia.

Remove ads