D&D (2024) How should Modify Spell be made less overpowered?

Some enhancements are definitely like Targets and Concentration better than others, while other like Components or Damage Type are useful but aren't so much better. Modify Spell seems in some ways to be a return to 3e's metamagic feats for Wizards. So with that in mind I think some of them might be worth +1 spell slot level while others aren't. Also when in combination with each other, many of the modifications can make a changed spell quite powerful, so I'm proposing that stacking more than 1 modifier should add +1 spell slot level as well.

Though I guess some slots are maybe a +0.5 levels, and the mods should be rounded down in terms of what they add.

So a Fireball that does Acid damage probably should still be a 3rd level spell, but one an Acidball with long range and only targets enemies might be a 4th or 5th level spell.

mellored

Legend
Just FYI, you only get 1 modifier for free (as a ritual).
Doing multiple requirs casting it with a higher spell slots. So you do pay for that.

IMO. Make it a level 2 spell, and remove the ritual tag.
Want a friendly fireball? That would be a level 2 and level 3 slot
Want a friendly and unbreakable firewall? That's a level 3 and 4 slot.

The first thing it needs, of course, is for money to stop being worthless. I have no problem with the wizard buffing their spells at an opportunity cost of not buffing items. But when money is a ribbon for any other class making it a strategic resource for the wizard seems like a bad idea entirely.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Not convinced that it is that powerful. The only element that is really powerful and perhaps worth a nerf is the one that removes concentration failure on damage.
Ok, thinking about there is one more, removing friendly fire on condition imposing spells will be amazing. So, hypnotic pattern, stinking cloud and the like.
I do not think range matters that much. Most spells in D&D are unnaturally short ranged in general in my opinion. And fireball is overrated. It is better than other damaging spells at that level, but well-placed hypnotic pattern is much more effective.
So enemies or allies only might be worth a level and the concentration one might also.

mellored

Legend
The first thing it needs, of course, is for money to stop being worthless. I have no problem with the wizard buffing their spells at an opportunity cost of not buffing items. But when money is a ribbon for any other class making it a strategic resource for the wizard seems like a bad idea entirely.
They are supposed adding prices to magic items. So presumably a fighter can buy a magic sword with their gold.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
The Bastion system may also become a gold sink, at least in some campaigns.

What about....

Modify Spell (4th level)​
Using arcane formulas in your Spellbook, you magically alter one Arcane spell you have prepared of 3rd level or less. You can change the spell’s color, sound, and smell, and you make one of the following modifications to the spell:​
[Modification Options]​
The chosen alteration lasts until you cast Modify Spell again or you finish a Long Rest. This altered version of the spell can’t be added to a spellbook or Spell Scroll without first casting Create Spell.​
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a Spell Slot of 5th level or higher, you can choose an additional spell modification for each slot level above 4th, and each additional spell modification beyond the first increases the spell level of the modified spell by 1.​
This way, you can make (and later Create) a Level 1 "Melf's Acidwave" instead of Thunderwave. However if you want Melf's Acidwave to not hurt your allies, it becomes a 2nd level spell. If you also want it do something more, like have it not require Verbal Components, it becomes a 3rd level prepared spell that doesn't work with Spell Mastery, but still does work as a Signature Spell.

If you want to cast Modify Spell as a 9th level spell, you can create a Melf's Cone of Acid instead of Cone of Cold, with 3 extra modifications (for a total of 4 mods), and be considered an 8th level spell.

mamba

Legend
I'd say increase the level by one when removing components, removing concentration, or increasing range. Increase it by 2 when only targetting friends or enemies. For the others leave it the same.

When adding several changes to one spell (at higher spell levels), make it the max of the increases + 1

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
It should be notes that from the playtest introduction(s) that the requested feedback should be on the desirability of the mechanic not on balance issues. I think that in principle the modify spell is a good addition to the game as is the whole modify and create spell sequence. That it will be adjusted for balance is very likely.

Remove ads