• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How stellar was the old Fiend Folio!

Korgoth

First Post
Ah, I love FF! The monsters are truly weird... which is what monsters should be. I'm not a big fan of the fey, Greek and Norse mythic guys, etc. I'll take some of that Philippine mythology, some frog men, some off the wall critters, etc. instead.

Weird, scary, deadly. Works for me.

Jephlewis,
lol I wa slooking for a pic of the Lizard King fight in the Fiend Folio, on Goggle, and hit that thread here instead ;)
One of my fave pieces of art.

Yeha the githyanki, when I first saw the book I thought was some kind of undead, lol

Korgoth
aye, weird is GOOD! ;) Things do not always have to be "perfect"

Mon

Explorer
Yeah, I liked the FF. You could come up with some interesting scenarios by listing a few monsters and figuring out how they would (or why they would) interact with one another. Plus, the PCs would generally be more used to MM monsters, but would be on shakier ground trying to figure out the bizarre qualities of encounters with FF critters.
Wow... you're THE Willie Walsh? The guy who wrote all of those sweet scenarios for DUNGEON back in the day? (as opposed to the British Airways guy, who is not nearly as cool). Huge fan of your work... ran many of your adventures during my early DMing days.

Pearlman's Curiosity is THE definitive nilbog encounter.

(Aside: sorry about the off-topic post... but I recognised the name!)

Last edited:

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
Maybe the monster weirdness was a UK thing, like their comedy (Monty Python, The Young Ones, The Mighty Boosh, etc). White Dwarf gave the FF a stellar review at the time. I loved the FF. It fit right in with the amazing modules we were playing at that time like Dungeonland, Land Beyond the Magic Mirror, Beyond the Crystal Cave, Sentinel, The Gauntlet. Memories.

hazel monday

First Post
Yeah, I liked the FF. You could come up with some interesting scenarios by listing a few monsters and figuring out how they would (or why they would) interact with one another. Plus, the PCs would generally be more used to MM monsters, but would be on shakier ground trying to figure out the bizarre qualities of encounters with FF critters.

Hey! Willie Walsh!
I ran Huddle Farm from Dungeon #12 last week. What a terrific adventure. My players and I had a great time not killing stuff for a change.

You should write more adventures.

Kwalish Kid

Explorer
Best monster book ever. The lava children are coming for you...from the cover of Mad Magazine directly to your gaming table!
Funny, I was looking through an old White Dwarf magazine the other day and an article in it had a write-up on the deities of the lava children.

Remove ads