• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How thick is a snake?

Samnell

Explorer
A huge viper, specifically. I know it's coiled 15x15, but if it were stretched out how long and how thick would the animal be, assuming the proportions for real-world snakes hold.

I know nothing about snakes, but I have a PC who wants one as an animal companion.

Samnell

Explorer
Cedric said:
How long is the snake when stretched out?

Cedric

I don't really know. The MM doesn't say. If it's five feet wide, it would probably be about 45 feet, assuming one loop per square.

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
That's a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig snake. I think that's bigger than an anaconda... (checks Google) Yup, that is bigger. A typical anaconda (the world's largest snake, a constrictor rather than a viper) is 20ft long and 12in wide. A 45ft-long snake would be nearly three feet around, about as big around as a sizable person.

Harlock

First Post
Ray Silver said:
That's a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig snake. I think that's bigger than an anaconda... (checks Google) Yup, that is bigger. A typical anaconda (the world's largest snake, a constrictor rather than a viper) is 20ft long and 12in wide. A 45ft-long snake would be nearly three feet around, about as big around as a sizable person.

An Anaconda is not a viper. Vipers tend to be even a ittle thicker than a boid (type of snake an Anaconda is). At least where I live they do. Crotalus atrox (Western Diamondback Rattlesnake) can be hugely fat. For a massive viper like this (the suggested 45 feet) I'd go with about five feet thick in the midsection. Funny thing is, North American pit vipers tend to be really skinny around the neck and tails, tapering down a ton. Click here for a pretty good look at this. Now Crotalus atrox is pit viper, but I've found some true vipers have this body type. For a look at a different type of rattlesnake, this one a Timber Rattlesnake (Crotalus horridus) click here. You'll notice the same body type. But hey, it's your campaign, you could even have a huge viper that resembled a Colubrid!

Samnell

Explorer
My deathly fear of snakes keeps me from seeking out pics of them, but I'll keep the tapering in mind, Harlock. It's a little easier to envision a five foot wide snake with a smaller head for some reason.

kkoie

First Post
I can attest to the fact that some snakes are HUGE. My parents were on a cruise, and stopped off to tour a rain forest in puertorico. anyway... at one point the buss had to stop because a "tree" had fallen across the road. Only it turned out this "tree" was a snake making its way across. This "tree" was at least a foot in diameter, if not more, and took quite some time for it to finish crossing the road.

Last edited:

Angcuru

First Post
Harlock said:

An Anaconda is not a viper. Vipers tend to be even a ittle thicker than a boid (type of snake an Anaconda is).

not to mention that vipers are poisonous, while anacondas are just HUGE, no need for venom.:)

Remove ads