• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to bestow Templates in-game?

Rainmar

First Post
Here is the problem.
I have created a Dread Necromancer who is going straight to the lich and thought of giving her a ancient egypt flavour. Some time ago, while reading Libris Mortis, I stumbled upon a Undead Swarm-Shifter Template of LA +0. It basically allows Undead to become at will one choosen swarm type. I asked about it my DM, and he said it probably should be a magical ritual, by that I understand it's a spell with etended casting time. But now I'm in a pinch, I have no idea how powerfull that spell ought to be(spell level). Or meyby there is a some reference you might point me to?

frankthedm

First Post
But now I'm in a pinch, I have no idea how powerful that spell ought to be(spell level). Or maybe there is a some reference you might point me to?
Spell Research rules are in the DMG. Basically the DMG tells the DM not to the warn the player whether the attempted research will automatically fail. It sounds like the DM has started at this step already.

Once the research starts, it costs you 1000 GP per level of the spell and takes 1 week per level of the spell. During this time the DMG tells the DM "feel free" to give you guidance on the parameters they might allow for the spell.

After that time is up, you roll a Spellcraft check [10+the spells level] and if the DM has decided the spell is viable, you can write the spell into your spellbook [at normal scribing costs, IIRC].

Rainmar

First Post
Yeh, but meyby someone know any thumb rules for creating spells that grant templates? The template I want to bestow is +0 LA, so it ought to be fairly low level...thou, templates are perma things which grant serious benefits, so I really dont know how to approach it.

Rainmar

First Post
Those incantaions rules are very interesting, and might have answer for my questions. Thou I doubt DM would like to incorporate such rituals in our Campaign, it suggested comparing them to spells to guess their spell level. I think that is what I have to do, thanks guys!

krupintupple

First Post
i hate to rain on your parade, but the swarm-shifter's LA is "--", meaning nonexistent. it' does however raise a CR by +1, but it effectively has no LA. my interpretations of templates that have no LA indicates that they are effectively "beyond normal PC use", but your mileage may vary. if your DM is alright with it, then i'd say go ahead. however, since you're set on becoming undead, you really really want to steer clear of good clerics with beads of karma and the sun domain. also, while in a swarm, you'll get creamed if you get hit by an area attack, blast or burst!

anyhow, more to the point - if you were going the incantation route, it'd be a fairly high DC, if you went the spell route, it'd probably be epic, or at least 8th. i believe there's a 9th level spell in the spell-compendium that permanently gives you the half-fiend template, but it's really expensive and the highest non-epic level.

Rainmar

First Post
Hmm, I thought that "--" meant that LA is +0 but thanks for getting me out of wrong impression I had.

Well, staying clear of good clerics is mostly what majority of intelligent undead does ;)...just as nearly all living things stay away from undead, but the catch is to not endanger yourself but send your minions to risk their necks xD. I will not underestimate any priest nor pally on my way, there are many ways you can use your undead servants aside from frontal charge, and I plan on using them to their full extent.

I will look at that spell. Good, now I think I have something to base on, I can create the project of such spell and present it to DM, with rules of incantations as well.

Thanks!

Starbuck_II

First Post
Here is the problem.
I have created a Dread Necromancer who is going straight to the lich and thought of giving her a ancient egypt flavour. Some time ago, while reading Libris Mortis, I stumbled upon a Undead Swarm-Shifter Template of LA +0. It basically allows Undead to become at will one choosen swarm type. I asked about it my DM, and he said it probably should be a magical ritual, by that I understand it's a spell with etended casting time. But now I'm in a pinch, I have no idea how powerfull that spell ought to be(spell level). Or meyby there is a some reference you might point me to?

Wait, DN become Lich as a Class feature at lv 20. Are you trying to be a Lich earlier?

Magesmiley

Explorer
The only existing spell I can think of that does something like what you are looking for is the Axiomatic Creature spell from the Book of Exalted Deeds, which transforms the target into an axiomatic creature. Its an 8th level spell with a 1000 point XP hit, needs a 10,000 gp diamond, and requiremes that you have the archon subtype to cast it.

Rainmar

First Post
Wait, DN become Lich as a Class feature at lv 20. Are you trying to be a Lich earlier?

No no :), the secret is that my necro has a ancient egypt flavour and I found a swarm-shifter template for undead. Think about it! A undead army which can turn into sand and travel as sand storm! It's more like a undead mirage army!!! If I can get creamed easier when im in swarm form...tough, it's too cool to just forgot about this, even if it has such drawback xD

MAgesmiley, thanks for additional info, with that I have a crystalized idea. And when the time comes, (i.e. 8th level spells) I will show it to my DM :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads