How to build a mounted warrior (inside adventurers' league)?

TheCandyman

First Post
Hi!

In these days I'm thinking about building a dragonborn don-quixote-like (so: good Charisma and low wisdom) pc for the local AL. How do you suggest me to build it? Does multiclassing (paladin, rogue, etc) repay the trouble or is better to go for the Xanathar's fighter variant and never leave it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: sorry, I've only looked at the guides list before posting and I noticed only now that there is already a thread about cavalier. You can delet this thread if you think is redundant.

Last edited:

Gavin O.

First Post
Hi!

In these days I'm thinking about building a dragonborn don-quixote-like (so: good Charisma and low wisdom) pc for the local AL. How do you suggest me to build it? Does multiclassing (paladin, rogue, etc) repay the trouble or is better to go for the Xanathar's fighter variant and never leave it?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: sorry, I've only looked at the guides list before posting and I noticed only now that there is already a thread about cavalier. You can delet this thread if you think is redundant.

If you're specifically looking for a mount for a dragonborn, your best option is to go straight Paladin until you get Find Steed at level 5. None of the Cavalier's features actually give you a mount, so unless you're counting on the DM to give you one (not that likely), your best option is to summon your own.

TheCandyman

First Post
Thanks!!

If you're specifically looking for a mount for a dragonborn, your best option is to go straight Paladin until you get Find Steed at level 5. None of the Cavalier's features actually give you a mount, so unless you're counting on the DM to give you one (not that likely), your best option is to summon your own.

I was counting on buying them, is that really such a bad idea?

But since I tend to make a freakshow of every my pc, the fact that with Find Steed I could summon a mount that is also a fiend makes the spell really interesting.
Anyway if I take the Paladin path as you suggested me, should I multiclass Cavalier at level 6 or it is better to stay Paladin?

Gavin O.

First Post
Thanks!!

I was counting on buying them, is that really such a bad idea?

But since I tend to make a freakshow of every my pc, the fact that with Find Steed I could summon a mount that is also a fiend makes the spell really interesting.
Anyway if I take the Paladin path as you suggested me, should I multiclass Cavalier at level 6 or it is better to stay Paladin?

A Riding horse costs 75 GP and has a pitiful 13 HP, a Warhorse costs 400 GP and has 19 HP. Unless you have the Mounted Combatant feat, which allows you to take a hit directed at your mount, the mounts you can buy might not last one round of combat. At least with Find Steed you can resummon your mount when it dies. Even if you do have Mounted Combatant, 75 gold is a lot to ask in the early levels, and it's possible you can't find someone willing to sell to you.

If you're going Paladin, you should stay until level 6, since the Paladin's level 6 feature is phenomenal (+Cha to all saves for you and allies within 10 feet) After that, you could multiclass fighter and go into Cavalier if you want to, but Cavalier's features don't actually help you that much as a mounted combatant. The biggest thing they get is advantage on saves to avoid falling off, but you only need to make a save for that if you are knock prone while mounted (which isn't that common and is usually based on a strength save, which you'll be good at). If you do want to multiclass fighter, I would wait until level 7 or 8.

Remove ads