How to build a non-stealthy Rogue?

TheCandyman

First Post
Hi, one type of pc that I've always liked to make is the vile, clever scoundrel that solves problems with words, cheat, lies, fake smiles and the wise use of informations, with the less use of magic possible (very similar to Varys from GoT, Michael Corleone, or any other famous schemer).

Currently I'm (obvioulsy, I think) trying to build it from the rogue and I really think the Mastermind archetype could fit really well for my idea.

Currently I am at level 4, expertise in insight and deception, alternate human (talent chosen: linguist), charlatan for background.

How do you think a pc like this could be built? Despite my intention in not using magic, a little dip in Warlock is very tempting (scheming via talking even to animals could bring serious fun)

Gavin O.

First Post
If you want to play a non-stealthy melee rogue you'll need survivability. 14 Con at least, though 16 is ideal. You'll also need some way to increase your AC above what rogues normally get. Fighter or Barbarian multiclass get your medium armor + shield, Barbarian gives you +Con to AC (Rage doesn't help you that much unfortunately) while fighter gives you a fighting style. If you plan to stay at range, I would recommend multiclassing fighter, since Archery style is very helpful. Insightful fighting works at sight range, so it can allow you to use your sneak attack against a target far away from you.

If you wanted to go in a completely different direction, The bard of the college of secrets could fit your concept too, though you would be playing a magic user.

TheCandyman

First Post
Yes, my purpose is going in combat only when is unavoidable or in a surprise round after I've enthralled the target (it is also very tempting to go assassin just for enjoy stabbing people on their back after you met them and made them your friends, but mastermind is still my preferred option) and infact I was also looking in dipping in the bard or in the warlock (maybe i could just try to take unusual or non-combat spells).

Thanks!

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Ranger1 allows you to wear a Breastplate. Ranger2 also gets you a Fighting Style; Archery is one possibility.

I'm working on a wilderness scout -type character for Tomb of Annihilation. It will be a Rogue/Ranger or Ranger/Rogue. So I can optimize around Survival and Perception, and have a few extra dice (Colossus Slayer, Sneak Attack) to add onto my attacks.

I really hope it plays out like my 4e Druid (Dark Sun campaign) who was optimized for the Guide a Caravan skill challenge.

Remove ads