• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how to crank that spell DC up...

CoopersPale

First Post
Hi guys,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some tips for cranking up the spell DC's for any given wizard or cleric spells. I'm looking to maximise this aspect of the character right from 1st level all the way through. Currently all I can see is the obvious:
- high ability score,
- spell focus.

Surely there's a lot more to it right?
I can only realistically use the core books, and maybe the wotc splatbooks.

cheers

copperspale

Steve Jung

Explorer
There's the Heighten Spell feat from the PHB. From the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting, there is the Spellcaster Prodigy feat.

FrankTrollman

First Post
You can jack your statistic bonus up to rather silly levels.

Polymorph Any Object, for example, has no hit die or size limit and grants you the intelligence of the form if it is higher than your own.

So all you really have to do is find a creature in a monster book your DM will allow which has a very high intelligence (such as the Great Wyrm Gold Dragon), and take its Intelligence. Add in some wishes, a headband of intellect, and you have a spellcasting stat that is stupid high.

-Frank

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
If you're willing to give up "any given wizard or cleric spell" and focus on illusions, then it should be pointed out that Gnomes casting Illusion spells add +1 to the save DC.

You *really* don't want a gnome to cast Phantasmal Killer on your character.

And don't forget the easy 2nd level spellcasting stat buff spells. An evil cleric juicing himself up with a (double) empowered Owl's Wisdom is a BAD thing. Good thing that doesn't work in 3.5--empower only works on variable effects, and in 3.5 stat boost spells are a steady +4.

-z

Darklone

If you wanna cast spells without save, Envelop the Wall and Irresistible Spell... feats from the Kalamar Players Guide.

Al

First Post
Far easier than cranking your DCs is knocking your opponents' saves down...

A myriad of spells can give penalties to save, the most distinguished being Mind Fog which pretty much guarantees subsequent Will-save based spells are going to succeed (unless you're facing a cranked up monk). Spells which reduce abilities, such as Touch of Idiocy and Poison will also affect saves.

If you're really stuck, Enervation is a dead cert to take down saves, and can be coupled with a Quickened True Strike. LW can impose a -7 to an opponent's next save, which can be really effective when coupled with Finger of Death or another save-or-die.

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Spellcasting Prodigy from FRCS will help you out some. Then I would concentrate on becoming a Red Wizard of Thay to help the DC of your spells. In one of the BoEM there is a ring that grants a +2 to all your DC's as well. There is alos the enhancement bonus's to your stats as well as the tome books for the inherent bonus to your spell stat. Other than those I cna not think of anything right now.

If I think of something else I will let you know.

Zaruthustran

The tingling means it’s working!
Al said:
Far easier than cranking your DCs is knocking your opponents' saves down...

Oh, good point. Doom, Prayer, Bestow Curse are all saving throw killers.

Might be interesting to create a build that's all about draining the opponent's abilities and saves. I'd guess a Wizard/Cleric/Mystic Theurge with Spell Focus in Enchantment and Necromancy would be a good bet. Hmm.

-z

Thanee

First Post
Al said:
Mind Fog which pretty much guarantees subsequent Will-save based spells are going to succeed (unless you're facing a cranked up monk).

You mean cranked up paladin or cleric! ;)

Anyways, I havn't seen any reason to use Mind Fog yet, as it has a Will save itself, it seems more useful to cast a spell with a more tangible effect directly.

Bye
Thanee

Remove ads