D&D 5E How to Deal Uber Damage

pming

Legend
Hiya.

Ok, I'm wondering some things here...

I'm pretty sure that, say, a Sorcerer/Warlock of level 3/2 does 1d10, period, with Eldritch Blast. You don't add any ability score modifiers to spells, and you don't add your levels together to try and "qualify" as a higher level Sorcerer or Warlock; you are a 3rd level Sorcerer, and a 2nd level Warlock. I don't see how the heck you guys are getting "4d10+20+4d6" for an Eldritch Blast. Can someone enlighten me? (re: point me to where it's saying this...?)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

JPDG

First Post
Hiya.

I'm pretty sure that, say, a Sorcerer/Warlock of level 3/2 does 1d10, period, with Eldritch Blast. You don't add any ability score modifiers to spells, and you don't add your levels together to try and "qualify" as a higher level Sorcerer or Warlock; you are a 3rd level Sorcerer, and a 2nd level Warlock. I don't see how the heck you guys are getting "4d10+20+4d6" for an Eldritch Blast. Can someone enlighten me? (re: point me to where it's saying this...?)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

1) Cantrips are always based on total level, not caster level. So 2d10 is accurate.
2) Agonizing Blast (Warlock Invocation) adds CHA modifier to damage.
3) I'm assuming 4d10 is either a crit or with the Quicken spell feature.

JPDG

First Post
Cheesiest option to maximise damage that I can think of?

15th level Druid.

Cast insect plague to get a swarm of biting locusts under my control, 20ft radius. Must be thousands of them.

Cast Animal Shapes to change any number of willing creatures that you can see within range into a large beast.

Thousands of large beasts appear crushed into the tiny area, squashing everyone.

:D

Flaws: maybe the DM will (reasonably!) say that they are not willing creatures. In which case you would have to rely upon a sack of animal friend rats that you turn into brown bears or something. You should be able to get 50 or so. Not as exciting as thousands though.

Both of those spells require concentration. I would rule that once you cast the second spell, the first fizzles out, and none are transformed.

pming

Legend
Hiya.

1) Cantrips are always based on total level, not caster level. So 2d10 is accurate.

I can't find where it says that anywhere...do you have a page number? It's not under "Cantrips" (pg 201), nor is it under the info on them for Sorcerer or Warlock.

2) Agonizing Blast (Warlock Invocation) adds CHA modifier to damage.

Ahh...ok. So at most, +5 for a 20 CHA then? Where is the "+20" people are throwing about coming from? At 17th level Warlock, it's 1d10+5, four bolts (each needs a separate to-hit)...is that where that "+20" is coming from then? (I can only assume)

3) I'm assuming 4d10 is either a crit or with the Quicken spell feature.

Hmmm....a 3rd level sorcerer only has 3 Sorcery points, and it costs 2 to make a spell "quickened", so he can only do this once. So that only gives him an "extra" casting that round as a bonus action. A critical hit would give the double dice, however...but I still can't find where "all spellcasting levels are added together when dealing with Cantrips".

^_^

Paul L. Ming

transtemporal

Explorer
You get 4 eldritch blasts at 17, which along with the agonizing blast invocation adds cha modifier, so 4(1d10+5). This is assuming you hit with all 4 beams. Don't think crits are factored in.

You could possibly so sor15/ftr3/wlk2 and take Champion to go crit-fishing on a 19-20 but not sure if missing a feat is worth double dice on two hits in twenty.

Btw, Jeremy Crawford confirmed that cantrips scale with character level on the Sage Advice column here.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Hiya.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

4 beams, charisma modifier on each beam+the hex spell. A sorcerer can also sack spell slots to get mor sorcery points so a Sorc3/Warlock2 can sacrifice 7 levels of spells for 7 more sorcerey points per day (10 total). A Warlock2 can still cast hex twice and they come back with each short rest so if you have 2 short rests per day that is 6 hex spells per day+ the sorcerer daily spells (which can be more hex spells).

That is the basic combo then its just matter of trying to layer as many actions as you can get onto that (quicken, action surge, warcaster casting as an AoO).

transtemporal

Explorer
A sorcerer can also sack spell slots to get mor sorcery points so a Sorc3/Warlock2 can sacrifice 7 levels of spells for 7 more sorcerey points per day (10 total).

Isn't that 16pts? PHB pp.164-165 - 5th level multiclass spellcaster sor has 4/3/2 slots (even though they can't cast 3rd level). Or do the warlock levels not count towards this?

Remove ads