• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to deal with Metagaming as a player?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gardens & Goblins

First Post
Sorry to butt in. Just wanted to make sure we covered, 'With fire'.

If we didn't then, OP, in answer to your question:

With fire.

If that doesn't work, try:

MORE fire.

machineelf

Explorer
I know that you weren't really arguing about water breathing per se (just using it as an example to discuss metagaming), but when I DMed SKT the (6th level) druid cast it every single day on every PC because it lasts all day and he had enough slots.

That would be fine to me if I were the DM, obviously. But it's a different story if the character never used water breathing, and they just happened to cast it right before coming upon a water trap that the player knew about but his character didn't. That would clearly be an example of meta-gaming, and I would bet most people other than Aaron would see it clearly that way.

machineelf

Explorer
Sorry to butt in. Just wanted to make sure we covered, 'With fire'.

If we didn't then, OP, in answer to your question:

With fire.

If that doesn't work, try:

MORE fire.

Oh I'm sure we long since scared the OP away. He's probably already listed his books on Ebay, saying, "If I knew there would be so much debate and arguing, I would never have gotten into this role-playing thing." :p

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Now if you had said you were tending the fire before you even knew there was going to be an attack that night, or by what, then I wouldn't have a problem with it at all.
That is exactly what the scenario was, and I was not unclear it stating it. And yet, you seem believe that I was doing something that you would in fact have a problem with.

...you've never done that before against any other non-fire vulnerable monster...
That I haven't done it before isn't relevant, considering that I've never been attacked while tending a fire before so there is no possible way to establish the entirely unneeded "what the character would normally do" - because real people have whims, so it's okay to role-play characters having whims - as being something other than what the character is doing in this singular instance.

If you truly never heard about a troll's weakness, would you really have decided to throw a burning log at it? No you would not.
Yes. Yes I would. Why would I not? Fire is, generally speaking, an extremely dangerous and destructive force. Without any evidence to suggest the creature barreling towards me is resistant or immune to fire, why wouldn't I use it when it's already in hand?
...edges that you shouldn't have.
This makes it sound like you are expecting the challenges to be of a "gotcha" nature, because these "edges" aren't actually edges in any other case.
1. No. I wouldn't stop a player who I knew for certain did not know a troll's weakness from using a fiery log to attack it, because if I knew for certain they didn't have that knowledge, then I know they aren't metagaming and they just happened upon (like actually happened upon, not merely claimed they happened upon) an effective way to combat a troll.
Here you clearly agree that the character doesn't need to know that it is facing a troll or that fire is actually going to be very useful in order for the character to attack the troll with fire that is on-hand. Good.

2. Why would you assume my answer to be yes?
Because there is no reason for it to be "no." The player is just role-playing. The character isn't doing anything that the character couldn't be doing. Everything is entirely as it should be.
Honestly, I don't know why you think my answer would be anything but "no" to the above question.
Then you have severely misunderstood basically every word I've typed on this subject.

In your case, when I know that you have knowledge about a creature's weakness and you use that weakness against it in a very unlikely way (a way that you normally wouldn't use),
We've established the following A) A completely inexperienced player could come up with the same thing for their character to do; B) this is literally the first time I'd ever been in a scenario involving a campfire so there is no "normally wouldn't" that can be established; and C) this is actually what I would normally do if my character is attacked while tending a fire and the monster attacking isn't clearly going to be less affected by fire. So your claim that I am using a weakness against it in a very unlikely way is entirely without any basis in logic.

...then it's very clear you are using your knowledge to gain an edge.
What "edge"? A brand new, green behind the ears, doesn't have a clue player could do the same thing as I've done - what "edge" am I gaining?

I'm just role-playing (doing what I believe my character would do given the situation the character is in and the knowledge the character possesses).
You are trying to force me to meta-game (do something because of what I know as a player).

How do you not at least register that making me do something different because of what I know is using knowledge my character doesn't have?

...then what is your definition of playing in bad faith? If that's not an example of it, than I'm not sure what crosses the line to you.
One example of not playing in good faith: Putting a water trap in a dungeon and insisting there is literally zero evidence that a character has that would justify precautionary casting of water breathing. "Gotcha" challenges are bad-faith play.

Another example, intentionally griefing other players. Things like picking their character's pockets or killing their character in their sleep when those sorts of activities haven't specifically been talked about and agreed upon including in the game-play experience. Also, this thing a guy that briefly joined my group did where he would have his familiar attack other player characters, and when they demanded in-and-out-of-character that to stop responded with "It wasn't me, it's Grex." as if that made everything okay.

But trying to role-play the character in the same way another player would be allowed to role-play, that's anything but bad faith.

machineelf

Explorer
That is exactly what the scenario was, and I was not unclear it stating it. And yet, you seem believe that I was doing something that you would in fact have a problem with.

That's why when I asked I said, "I'd have to know more detail about this if I were the DM," and, "Given that my assumptions about your story are true ...".

But if you had already said you were tending fire before you even knew a troll was going to attack, I don't have a problem with it. I am less prone to be bothered by players using creatures weaknesses against them when it's unclear if their characters knew about them, anyway, because they can always say, "I heard about trolls and to use fire against them from an old guy in a tavern once."

For me it becomes a problem when a pattern emerges of a player who is always using meta-game knowledge and always looking for an angle. The water trap example was the more egregious example of meta-gaming, in my mind.

This makes it sound like you are expecting the challenges to be of a "gotcha" nature, because these "edges" aren't actually edges in any other case.

Well in a sense all "challenges" are somewhat of a "gotcha" in a certain sense, because they are challenges. They are conflicts in the narrative, that the heroes need to overcome. But they are not "gotchas" in the sense that I as a DM am trying to make the characters fail. That's not my goal as a DM at all. I am trying to tell a story along with the players. To tell a good story, you need conflict. So there are monsters, traps, dungeons, etc. I like it when they overcome the challenges. That makes for a good story. But they are playing characters in a story, so they should know what their character knows, and they shouldn't give their characters an edge based on knowledge the character wouldn't know (like what kind of trap they are about to encounter).

We've established the following A) A completely inexperienced player could come up with the same thing for their character to do; B) this is literally the first time I'd ever been in a scenario involving a campfire so there is no "normally wouldn't" that can be established; and C) this is actually what I would normally do if my character is attacked while tending a fire and the monster attacking isn't clearly going to be less affected by fire. So your claim that I am using a weakness against it in a very unlikely way is entirely without any basis in logic.

Hold on a second, you are making some big jumps in assumptions here. First we established that an inexperienced player could come up with throwing a firery log at the troll not knowing the troll's weakness, sure. But it still wouldn't be very likely they would do that. All I said is, if they did, I would know it wan't meta-gaming because, according to the scenario you presented, you said I knew, 100 percent certain, that they didn't know anything about trolls beforehand. So obviously in that case it couldn't be meta-gaming no matter what they did.

But if you did it, based on the conversation we've had so far and the way you seem to like to play, knowing that you did know a troll's weakness, I would highly suspect you chose that action because you know they have a weakness to fire. Especially if i knew you were prone to use meta-knowledge in other instances. Now in this particular case, if you had said before the troll attacked, that you were messing around with the fire, then I would let you do it and wouldn't make an issue out of it. I still think you did it precisely because you personally knew their weakness, but like I said, the troll example isn't the biggest offense of meta-knowledge to me, so I would let it go, especially if you had mentioned ahead of time you were tending the fire, messing around with the logs and whatnot.

Like I said, the water trap is a better example of something no one would just randomly do by chance just before they encountered the trap That's much more obviously getting an edge by meta-gaming.

I'm just role-playing (doing what I believe my character would do given the situation the character is in and the knowledge the character possesses).
You are trying to force me to meta-game (do something because of what I know as a player).

Where do you come up with this? No, I am nor forcing you to something because of what you know as a player. I am trying to get your character to only act according to the things he knows. If he doesn't know something, he shouldn't made decisions that would require him to know something he clearly doesn't. Would your character know there was a water trap? Not if the DM didn't tell you anything about it. Would your character know there was an old man talking to the rogue? Not if all your character saw was a person in a hood.

How do you not at least register that making me do something different because of what I know is using knowledge my character doesn't have?

Because it has to be knowledge your character knows, not knowledge that you personally know. How does that not register with you? It's your character that's dealing with the traps in the dungeon, not you. It's fine if you know the knowledge, as long as your character does, too. And if your character does know it, you would by default know it. For example, if you roll high enough on perception or investigation, and the DM tells you that you can tell a water trap is ahead, then both your character and you as the player know it. But what really matters is what your character knows. If you know it (because you overheard the DM tell another character who was there hours before your character), but your character doesn't know it, but you play it as though he does, then that's meta-gaming, and that's a problem. Again, how does that not register?

One example of not playing in good faith: Putting a water trap in a dungeon and insisting there is literally zero evidence that a character has that would justify precautionary casting of water breathing. "Gotcha" challenges are bad-faith play.

Well, look, that's for your DM to decide. If I were DM'ing, I there would be some kind of perception or investigation check. But you might fail it, and in that case you wouldn't know it was there. But your argument is that you somehow knew to cast water breathing even though you wouldn't know it was there. And we know you cast it (in this example) because you saw the exchange the other player's character had with the trap hours before your character got there. That's the problem.

Corwin

Explorer
No, that's not the reason I wouldn't like it. I like when my players come up with ingenious or original ideas to tackle tough challenges or traps. I wouldn't like you casting a water breathing spell ahead of time because it is so painfully obvious that you are basing that decision on the meta-knowledge you gained, but your character doesn't know, and you are power-gaming (and not playing according to the spirit of role-playing.) And if the DM never told you that you smelled "mildew" or noticed "damp surfaces," you are just making things up to try to justify your gaming manipulation.
This got me thinking. I'm going to provide a scenario and ask you a question, and I like to give you the benefit of the doubt that you will give an honest answer.

As @Arial Black suggested above, about a druid in his party, let's pretend you are the DM. Every day the druid in the group casts water breathing on the whole party. For little or no apparent reason. Other than because he can and has the spell slot to waste.

Now, again remember, you're the DM who has seen this day-in-day-out. Did you ever even think to put a water trap in your adventure in the first place? Or did you metagame and come up with something else?

Corwin

Explorer
That I haven't done it before isn't relevant, considering that I've never been attacked while tending a fire before so there is no possible way to establish the entirely unneeded "what the character would normally do" - because real people have whims, so it's okay to role-play characters having whims - as being something other than what the character is doing in this singular instance.
True story. I've been playing a goliath EK for a little while now. We were just in a battle with a formidable drider last session. A good chunk of the fight I was taking it on solo while the rest of my team dealt with his minions. Anyway, we had them on the ropes and I decided to grapple the drider instead of finishing him off with my booming maul. My intent was to wrestle it to the grounds and pull all but two of its legs off. Anyway, the reasons aren't entirely relevant to my point. Which is, I had never, up until that moment, had my goliath attempt a grapple check on a creature. The DM probably should have stopped play, mentioned that I had no established precedent for this character taking such an action, accused me of metagaming, and insisted I just swing my giant hammer at it to finish it off.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus

Most whims aren't suicidal. When a large, green, warty creature with big teeth is bearing down on you, you generally don't grab something far less effective than your sword. A stick, even with fire on it, ESPECIALLY with fire on it, isn't going to do much damage and is likely to break after a swing or two.

Yes. Yes I would. Why would I not? Fire is, generally speaking, an extremely dangerous and destructive force. Without any evidence to suggest the creature barreling towards me is resistant or immune to fire, why wouldn't I use it when it's already in hand?

That flaming brand would probably only give 99.9% of creatures a superficial burn before breaking due to it being a stick that is weakened by burning. If it's thick, it will be awkward to use and give penalties to hit due to not being built for use as a club. I'd explain the odds of the stick breaking and the diminished damage between stick and sword to an inexperienced player.

Just about the only reason I can see for someone, new or not, to use a highly ineffective weapon like that over the tried and true sword is if the sword is inaccessible for some reason and it's all you have.

Traps are literally designed NOT to be noticeable. That's why it's hard to notice them.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Or, in a general sense, don't make the challenge dependent on not having any clue what is going on. So make water traps where the challenge is getting out/through before you are stuck and run out of breath (so water breathing is a time limit extender, not an instant defeat of the challenge), and let the challenge of a troll be a dangerous combatant (because they deal plenty of damage, and often travel in groups) rather than try to force it to be an indestructible combatant where you have to puzzle-out the way to stop it.
This I agree with. Making a puzzle challenge where everyone knows the answer to the puzzle, but has to pretend they don't, isn't a game challenge; it's an improv sketch.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
This got me thinking. I'm going to provide a scenario and ask you a question, and I like to give you the benefit of the doubt that you will give an honest answer.

As @Arial Black suggested above, about a druid in his party, let's pretend you are the DM. Every day the druid in the group casts water breathing on the whole party. For little or no apparent reason. Other than because he can and has the spell slot to waste.

Now, again remember, you're the DM who has seen this day-in-day-out. Did you ever even think to put a water trap in your adventure in the first place? Or did you metagame and come up with something else?

Speaking for myself, if I would have put a water trap there, it will still go there. First, I'm not going to engage in that sort metagaming myself. Second, it's nice for the players to have their preparation rewarded now and then. That sort of resource investment paying off will make the player of the druid feel good about doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads