• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to detain an Eladrin Rogue? ie, teleporting

krakenstar

First Post
A slippery pit

Hi everyone, first time poster here was driven out of wizards' D&D forums by people with obviously no life - I must say its a breath of fresh air here.

A very slippery pit!

Imagine a slippery funnel with a cell at the bottom of this cone shaped pit. Make the cone part of the pit slippery. He can only teleport half way up the funnel and slide right down.

djdaidouji

First Post
dragon_eater said:
Right, not that it really matters in non-combat situations. However I still felt that I should mention it.

I would say that's pretty important. Also, that's 1 per five minutes of resting. That means the rogue needs to teleport past her bars, and walk around avoiding guards for at least five minutes before she can teleport again. If she is placed in a room that doesn't have a window to outside, or at least a few stories up, she'll have to teleport into the hallway next to her cell, and chances are there is at least one guard in the area that will notice. The step from Cell to Hallway to Outside could be very treacherous because of those five minutes.

Hambot

First Post
chain them up in the middle of a huge cavern, blindfolded, above a pit leading into a sarlac style monster.

If they teleport, they still fall into a pit then into the mouth of a big eaty thing.

The chain could be lowered into the pit unnecessarily slowly if the captors prefer.

djdaidouji said:
I would say that's pretty important. Also, that's 1 per five minutes of resting. That means the rogue needs to teleport past her bars, and walk around avoiding guards for at least five minutes before she can teleport again. If she is placed in a room that doesn't have a window to outside, or at least a few stories up, she'll have to teleport into the hallway next to her cell, and chances are there is at least one guard in the area that will notice. The step from Cell to Hallway to Outside could be very treacherous because of those five minutes.
Hmm...I think you forgot the fact that the Eladrin's teleportation is game-breaking.

Other than that, very good point.

Xris Robin

First Post
I dunno why everyone makes a big deal of this.

For instance, DON'T HAVE BARS. This isn't the Old West. Have an actual room, with say, no windows. No, not even in the door. Now line of sight doesn't extend outside the room. Also, a blindfold works just as well, since then you can't see anything.

Kordeth

First Post
Christopher Robin said:
I dunno why everyone makes a big deal of this.

For instance, DON'T HAVE BARS. This isn't the Old West. Have an actual room, with say, no windows. No, not even in the door. Now line of sight doesn't extend outside the room. Also, a blindfold works just as well, since then you can't see anything.

Or accept the fact that when an eladrin rogue comes strolling into a podunk human town to rob them blind and seduce their daughters, he's really, really hard to lock up. And that can make for good story hooks. :)

Remove ads