• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to detain an Eladrin Rogue? ie, teleporting

Mithyx

First Post
I was thinking along the same lines as Kordeth. It'd be some fun having some high level bounty hunters chasing around the rogue after he's broken out of jail a couple of times. If the Eladrin gets too out of line, some Manacles with Dimensional Anchoring work just fine.

TiwazTyrsfist

Adventurer
Eladrin Rogue: Ha-ha! Foolish humans, with their pathetic jail cells. They think they can hold me? I shall simply teleport out through the window and escape!

Startling lack of *BAMF*

Eladrin Rogue: What the? Why can't I teleport?

Human Jailer: What, do ya think we're stupid? We got like, 10, maybe 12 of you suckers in town... Honestly, what sort of idjit bothers to stick someone in a cell they know won't hold em...

Eladrin Rogue: The heck? What, you have these cells warded or something?

Human Jailer: Be happy. 'Fore we got the dimension lock set up, we just slit your throats for any crime over public drunkenness. Least ways now you get a trial...

My point? Any society that must deal with such problems will, eventually, learn to deal with them.

Dimension lock ankle bracelet, Dimensional ward the cell block, Something like that.
Is it expensive? Sure. But the kingdom PAYS for it, because they don't like being know as they guys who execute Eladrins and Warlocks without a trial for shoplifting.

WildWalker

First Post
Facinating problem.

Personally, I like the idea of a deep pit. Low tech, low magic, nothing to break. Guards as required to beat you down and keep you from recovering untill they can throw you back into the pit.

Crude and effective...and works on characters other than Eladrin too.

WildWalker

Kordeth

First Post
TiwazTyrsfist said:
My point? Any society that must deal with such problems will, eventually, learn to deal with them.

Dimension lock ankle bracelet, Dimensional ward the cell block, Something like that.
Is it expensive? Sure. But the kingdom PAYS for it, because they don't like being know as they guys who execute Eladrins and Warlocks without a trial for shoplifting.

Hell, there are easier ways than that, even. Oubliettes were popular enough in the real world--just dig a hole 30-odd feet deep and dump the bugger down there. Evil kingdoms, of course, will put out their eyes if it's not expedient to kill them.

I'm beginning to see a character concept here. An eladrin caught thieving in the house of a wicked baron who, wanting the thief to suffer, puts out his eyes and throws him down a hole in the dungeons. Half-starved for 30 years alone in that dank pit, he goes stark raving mad, and in his madness he makes psychic contact with the mad, inscrutable lords of the feywild. They promise to restore his eyes, he promises...something he can never quite remember. With his new eyes full of deceit and trickery (and the eyebite power), he kills the jailer who comes to throw down his slop bucket and makes an escape.

Eladrin Fey warlock, possibly with the thief multiclass, and the eyebite power, with fluff-text "fey eyes" that have no mechanical effect, but sometimes catch glimples of Feywild imps and goblins lurking just in the corners of his vision. Pick a bunch of fey powers, borrow from the Star Pact to inflict madness on his enemies, and you're good to go.

Fanaelialae

Legend
A windowless room/ dungeon is a simple and elegant solution.

Older towns and cities could also easily have a cell or two with a permanent Forbiddance dating back to the last empire (which would likely have had cause and resources to establish such rituals in significant urban centers).

MarauderX

Explorer
Never let him rest? Such as hanging from a wall...

Then again, perhaps manacles would be the trick. They would be part of his person, but not movable.

Kordeth

First Post
Ophidimancer said:
I think teleports allow you to escape from grapples and bindings.

Correct. You can teleport when immobilized, and if the immobilization was due to a physical effect like being grabbed or restrained, teleporting breaks it.

Remove ads