• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to DM D&D over email/online?

Super_Troll

First Post
robaustin...that was an especially helpful post. I really like the idea of the "summary."

I think I might ask my boys to give it a try!

robaustin

First Post
Thanks, I do that for EACH round, which - if you have a group willing to post once a day - will get you a round a day, which for a PBEM is not half bad, and still gives your player decent control over their characters. I don't like doing multiple rounds - too much "well I would have done X if you had let me"

As for the rest - it's all role play via posting messages, and again - the pace is set by how often your players can post. Most of my players are desk jockeys and sit around all day at their desks at work with ready access to email, so you can usually get one post a day at least, if not more....we actually slow down on the weekend.

It's a great way to get the D&D "fix" when not playing in person.

--*Rob

jester47

First Post
The way I do it is I use the internet as a screen. I roll all the dice, and each player gets his own perspective of what is happening, mechanics free. Also, players do not know thier stats. They just have descriptoins of thier characters. This makes things very interesting.

It really controls metagame knowledge.

How bad am I hurt?
Real bad, it wont take much to kill you.

"The door wont budge and I have an 18 str." players only know thier characters appearance, manarisms, alignment, class, race, and the gear that they have with them. So if a wizard has an Int of 12, and is 3rd level, they never know why they have not yet mastered fireball.

I use moves, where each person sends in what they are doing or plan to do, and then construct the situations from there. So a move could take a week for one character or an hour for another as each character is on his own move schedule.

Aaron.

johnsemlak

First Post
Sagan Darkside said:

From the smiley, I would guess "yes".

It was pretty funny.

SD

Yes it was intentional. Glad someone thought it was funny. :)

I had done a search for threads on gaming online and this thread came up. There's actually a lot of useful info here. I'm bookmarking this thread for later reference.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads