• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to do Romance?

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
Depends a lot on the style of play you and your players prefer, and what kind of person that player is, really. I'll simply give a few examples off the top of my head, maybe something helpful comes up.

One romance I ran was in a pretty high-level game. The game was relatively immersive where social scenes were concerned (this was 2E, by the way), and the "target" was a player who was himself a bit egocentrical, and played a boisterous, slightly aged (40something) swashbuckler who suddenly found himself as the main representative in a friendly fencing contest between two nations celebrating a century of alliance. He got involved with a fencing teacher in the nation's capitol...and his younger daughter, who was at least 20 years younger than him, very popular, a brilliant fencer for her age, and extremely flirtatious. She also saw him as a big prestige bonus to her popularity (and her dad liked the attention his school got, of course). On the other hand, there was the older daughter, who was a more rough character, being a mercenary leader and a fighter more used to the heavier blades. While the younger sister went the more flirtatious route, playing to his ego and being a challenge at the same time, her older sister went more for the "support in tight spots" route, trying to help him out whenever there was some combat going on and impress on him that she valued his honesty more than his flattery. It was interesting for me to play two pretty different sisters after the same guy, and I made him sweat pretty much when at some point, the older more or less opened up to him, forcing her younger sister to counter the move, and leaving him in the middle to make a decision. A bit expected, he went for the younger one...which left me with the older sister turning to an immortal patron of passion and war, praying for her guidance to help her win him from her sister. Sadly, the game stopped shortly after that, so it didn't get concluded.

Another romance was with my last L5R group. The female Lion bushi had taken a few disadvantages at character creation that had left her with a dependent child, and a history of being fooled by a Crab bushi who left her with child (unbeknown to her family), a dark secret, and a scorpion ally who wanted to help her take revenge. I sent her and the rest of the group as Imperial Magistrates to a Crab fortress, where the commanding Lord had fallen ill and jade transports were raided without a trace of the raiders. While the plot was pretty supernaturally heavy, they found out the lord of the fortress was the Lion's former lover who had been under a Pennangolan's influence, slowly being sucked dry by the vampire. They managed to root out the vampire, follow it to a black magician who used the jade for a dark summoning ritual with the child of the Lion and the Crab, everything got solved...and the Crab, after being healed, saw the error of his ways back then, and petitioned the Lion for a chance to erase the disgrace on their souls, and went to the Wall to do a year's worth of service as penance, promising to officially start the courtship with her family if he survived the Wall. The courtship was an affair of letters and messengers sent, of course, so by far not as interpersonal as the first example.
The same group saw the Scorpion shugenja find a sword (and kill a ghost with it) that was attached to a marriage promise of the daughter of the lord of the nearby Phoenix city. That romance also went more with mentions of letters, haikus and small gifts exchanged.

Third romance was one of my own characters...and sadly, it started as a row of pranks by our DM. The half-elven bard in our group contracted a girdle of sex-change, and turned into a female. A few adventures later, my wizard swallowed a Philter of Love and the first person he saw was...that half-elven bard. Well, one thing came to another...sadly, the player left, and the whole relationship went on a backburner, as the DM wasn't that comfy with more personal roleplaying (admittedly, neither was I back then). It still developed into a marriage, three kids, and plenty of plot around them kids (gods, THAT was a weird family...one son aged in minutes and turned into a copy of my character who went off on his own adventures, the second son grew up normal and started training as a paladin, and the daughter got kidnapped and turned into a vampire, which sent my wizard on a quest to cure her after killing her master with a few friends of mine).

Dunno if any of this helped, but romance in roleplaying heavily depends on how immersive you want to get, and what the players are like. :)

GSHamster

Adventurer
Psion said:
Say some star crossed love like helping a devil send a message to his beloved succubus in the abyss.

Oh, wait... that's been done. ;)

While that was fun as a lark, it's better go simpler if you want romance. Have the lovers be people the PCs want to help.

The simplest, oldest stories are the most powerful, which is something we gamers often forget in our drive to be "clever".

Odhanan

Adventurer
Romance is perfectly feasible in a campaign, but you need players who like the idea. I say "players", because even if you have a single romance going on, the other players need to play the game as well.

The worst enemy of romance in a game is derision. If OOC jokes start flying around the table, all the ambiance you were trying to establish suddenly vanishes.

evileeyore

Mrrrph
Hussar said:
I was thinking about this the other day. I was fancying the idea of adding romance to the game. Nothing too R rated, just, boy meets girl sort of thing.

Only problem is, I have absolutely no idea how to approach this. I've never done it before and I'm a little worried about how to go about it.

Does anyone have any experiences, hints, tips, comments, or quotes to give me a hand?
She totally won't fall for it. Keep the romance out of the game and just take her out to a movie...

;)

JRR_Talking

First Post
may add some good banter for a session or two.....until the relationship goes wrong and the parties 3rd gnome rogue has gone off the NPC 11th level halfling barbarian he was dating...

I think a RomCom (super-ex girlfriend style / OOTS) may be easier all round than a true romance / heartbreak thing

Dimwhit

Explorer
fusangite said:
Just a warning: don't do it. In my experience, romance is a bad idea to role play out and is largely pointless when it proceeds off-frame. The RPG social dynamic is good for doing a lot of things; representing romance is not one of them.

I TOTALLY agree. My biggest problem with romance? We've got nothing but guys in my group. Roleplaying romance with a bunch of guys is just a little to Grecian/Roman for my taste.

Stick to killing things, getting drunk, and homophobic gay jokes...

00Machado

First Post
If it's to enrich the story part of the game, I say have the omance occur between NPCs, and have this create adventures or various situations that the players will understand are driven by the NPC romance. The knight asks you for help hunting dire wolves. Why? Because he wants to provide his lady with a dire wolf pelt carpet. That sort of thing.

If it's to enrich the "roleplaying" by the players, then I say just let them know that certain NPCs are "available" "interested" or whatever, and let them decide to act on that or not. Those that want to introduce this as a subplot for their characters will, and those who don't won't - and that way you're not pushing anyone into anything. That of course, doesn't mean that an NPC can't continue to have a crush on a PC, become their enemy due to rejection, etc etc.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
Just offer to take her out for drinks after the game. No need to make her reject you in front of the whole group.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
A windswept vistas over looking wild virgin lands with gentle sloping hills that obscure a distant pastoral valley.... A delicate forest that surrounds an illusive cave...

Just throw metaphor and allusions at your players while thinking what would Lord Byron do and make sure that the double entendre is visible for all to see.

If that doesn't work then make all the men suave and brawny, all the women passionate and lusty, then throw in some knights, pirates, shepherdesses, and lonely millers.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads