• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to emulate older editions of D&D using 5e.

Remathilis

Legend
So, one of the prescribed goals of 5th edition was that it could "emulate the best of" other editions. Obviously, it was never going to emulate Basic, 4e, or AD&D perfectly, but the idea was there; 5e was flexible that you didn't have to give up your favorite things about edition X.

So, lets talk how we can do that. NOTE: I'm not looking for house rules, merely how we can put the options in the PHB/DMG/MM together to start making a "flavored" version of 5e similar to that of the past.

Lets begin.

BASIC: Surprisingly, the Basic Document does this pretty well: Four classes (with the iconic archetypes), four main races (though true basic would lack subraces). No feats, no multiclassing (the "elf" class would probably best be the eldrich knight from the PHB) no additional races or classes. From the DMG, I'd go with Ability Proficiency (to remove skills) and Slow Natural Healing (if wanted, to emulate the harsher healing of OS).

AD&D: Well, start with what we did in Basic, and start adding on. You could easily add back Monk, Ranger, Paladin, Druid, and Bard (along with the additional archetypes, like illusionist and assassin.) Half elf, half-orc, and gnome from uncommons would round out races. Multiclassing is iffy; if you want to create the illusion of AD&D MC go ahead, but you'r probably better off with eldrich knight, War domain, and arcane trickster emulating the more popular MCs. Roll every-round Initiative, especially with speed factor, and System Shock and Morale round out the bunch. You can use skills or a variant, depending how much you want to emulate proficiencies or Secondary Skills.

D&D 3.X: Pretty much run as written: feats and multi-classing is on the table, as well as magic item creation. You might want to add action points to emulate later d20 (like Eberron).

D&D 4e: Tricky. You're never going to emulate the ADEU system, though the Epic Heroism rest option does a good job of the "fewer, but bigger fights" feel and you would obviously want the Healing Surge Variant. Feats are a yes, multi-classing no. Adding some of combat options (like Mark) along with proper feats get people into their old roles, and hero points might make up for Action Points. Its going to be a very different beast, but it can get the feel of 4e back, especially if you use the Dawn War deities and the World Axis from the DMG.

If people have other suggestions, please add them!

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I've thought about running a one-shot game where you roll your stats on 3d6, in order, and you roll your hit points. Hilarity would presumably ensue.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Something I considered for emulating 1E was making Paladin and Ranger martial archetypes of Fighter, Druid a "Domain" (in a game mechanic sense) of Cleric, leaving the Rogue as is with Thief and Assassin rogueish archetypes, and limiting the Monk to the Way of the Open Hand monastic tradition. Then, just leave out the other classes and subclasses (except the "default" subclasses for each of the core four). For added flavor, make Bard a multi-class only class (i.e., you can only use the multiclassing rules to access the class, you can't take it at first level) and limit it to the college of lore. You would, of course, have to do figure out how to translate paladin, ranger, and druid in to subclasses, but I think it would capture the flavor of 1E fairly well.

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth (He/him)
For all editions before 3rd, a morale system that interacts with loyalty (modified by a liege's charisma bonus) would be helpful for running henchmen, hirelings, and monsters that are part of a command structure. As far as I've gathered, morale in 5e is a DC10 wisdom save without any situational modifiers other than advantage/disadvantage. Are there any ideas out there for connecting this with the rules for loyalty?

Li Shenron

Legend
How about these:

1) For AD&D style multiclassing, the player makes her classes choice at 1st level and then it is simply frozen. Let's say 2 or 3 classes.

At first level she gains all class features and special abillities (including spells) from the 1st level of all her classes, except hit points and proficiency bonus.

Spellcasting capabilities are determined with the regular multiclassing rules, e.g. she knows and prepares spells separately as a 1st level character in each class, but her daily slots are determined as a 1st level caster.

She gains the hit points from just one class, e.g. the most favourable HD.

Proficiency bonus is determined by the overall level, so 1st.

At second level she gains only the HD from her second class, and spells per day as a multiclass 2nd level character. Her overall level determines proficiency bonus but at 2nd there is no increase.

If there are only 2 classes, then you repeat every 2 levels: at odd-numbered levels she gains the features of both classes, and the HD from the first; at even-numbered levels she gains the HD from the second; spellcasting and proficiencies always determined by total level.

If there are 3 classes, you follow the same idea but with groups of 3 levels.

This is slightly better than the official 5e multiclassing rules because you get class features earlier, but you pay by having the combination frozen, and essentially you have to wait longer before the next big upgrade.

2) To replicate the 'feel' of racial classes, I'd use Elf = Fighter/Wizard + Elf race, and perhaps Hobbit = Fighter/Rogue + Halfling race, but Dwarfs can just be Fighters.

Then you can impose class restrictions so that you have essentially only 7 options in the game: (Human) Fighter, (Human) Cleric, (Human) Rogue, (Human) Wizard, Elf, Hobbit and Dwarf.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
I've thought about running a one-shot game where you roll your stats on 3d6, in order, and you roll your hit points. Hilarity would presumably ensue.

For the full treatment, then have the player of the "thief" roll his skill checks using a d4 rather than a d20. He can use the d20 when he hits level 10 or so.....

mcintma

First Post
One big difference I see in trying to run 5e as old-school, e.g. 1e, is the 'nerfed' nature of the deadly monster abilities of the past in 5e: energy drain, petrify, poison, even the rust monster. To recapture a 1e feel, that 'fear of death around every corner', I think you'd have to house rule something in there (which I know the OP wants to avoid).

Remathilis

Legend
One big difference I see in trying to run 5e as old-school, e.g. 1e, is the 'nerfed' nature of the deadly monster abilities of the past in 5e: energy drain, petrify, poison, even the rust monster. To recapture a 1e feel, that 'fear of death around every corner', I think you'd have to house rule something in there (which I know the OP wants to avoid).

I guess one could make "deadlier" variants of these monsters, but considering how 5e already has a reputation of deadly combats, this doesn't seem like its too important in the grand scheme.

High combat damage + four weak saves + rolled hp = potential for death anyway.

seebs

Adventurer
And here I was expecting to read: "3e: On your turn, after you take your other actions, spend thirty seconds playing with a calculator."

Sacrosanct

Legend
I can't speak too much for other editions, but we've been able to get the 1e feel simply by using the "low healing setting", use minis only for large complex battles, and limiting multiclassing. Really don't need MC to get the same effect. For example, rather than do a fighter/thief in 1e, I just do a fighter with the urchin background and maybe skulker feat, or something like that. For me, a lot of "capturing the feel" isn't so much tied to a specific rule or mechanic, but the style in which you play and the aesthetic of adventure you're playing (art style, etc)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads