• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to Explain Evasion?

The PHB states: "experienced rogues develop mystical powers and skills as they master the arts of stealth, evasion and sneak attacks." (PHB, 49)

Note the use of the word mystical -- i.e. it is one of those things which can't be explained in any rational way. This sort of thing is typical in worlds where people and monsters have abilities which defy real-world logic.

Zephalon

First Post
If you watched the movie "Hero" then remember the scene where the nameless hero stands on the roof dodging and parrying a complete hail of arrows.

If the character standing amidst a fireball evades, just imagine him turning around quickly and pushing the flames aside with his cloak for example.

Dodging arrows isn't a good analogy; arrows can be dodged. I'm talking about something that envelops you and covers such a large area that there isn't somewhere to dodge to.

I guess there is no good answer.

Li Shenron

Legend
Ogrork the Mighty said:
Dodging arrows isn't a good analogy; arrows can be dodged. I'm talking about something that envelops you and covers such a large area that there isn't somewhere to dodge to.

I guess there is no good answer.

IMXP different people tend to visualise spells (and everything else) in different ways: a group may agree that fireballs should engulf everything in the area from the center to the edge, but another group may not have imagined fireball exploding in this way.

IMHO there is no official rule about being hit by a Fireball in an enclosed space, other than the fact that you still get a saving throw as normal. It's just up to the DM to choose what to do (I am very fond of using circumstance bonuses/penalties rather than prohibitting the use of an ability).

So, just choose what YOU like. I personally think it's easier to adapt the description to the rules rather than adapting the rules to a description (which is most of the time subjective), but if your group is very used to and pleased with the image of an engulfing fireball, no problem to follow that image.

Klaus

First Post
IMHO, a fireball is just like a big explosion: It creates a "sphere" of flames that expands out to the limits of the area of effect. As it does so, the "interior" of the sphere becomes hollow (devoid of flames).

I've described evasion (and improved evasion) in many ways. In the case of a fireball, the character rolls up into a ball, covering his hair with his hands or cloak and as soon as the flames are past him, he gets up and pats away any cinders that might have caught onto him. He'll be singed, maybe sooted (even if he avoided the entire damage with imp. evasion).

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'd assume an 'Eye of the storm' effect - the center of origin from which the explosion emanantes is a calm spot, the rogues mystical stealth allows them to locate and occupy the 'eye' long enough to avoid the effect

Turhan

First Post
One thing I do is to require the person who makes their save to physically move their character/mini to the edge of the effect area. It is a free move and draws no attacks of opportunity since everyone thereabouts is trying to avoid the spell also. This causes some problems, sometimes. I roll a d8 for the random direction of movement.

The second option I use is to say that virtually every spell from any wizard type has oddities to the area/space/person effected. There are small zones with nothing happening, and a character with sufficient skill or luck can spot one and duck into it. Or, through pure chance the spell rolls over and around them in a display of chaos theory at work. (This last bit is not too different from what Claudio Posas posted above).

When I deal with a targeted effect like the old Flame Arrow "firebolt", I explain it as being a spell that primarily affects the person, not their gear, and therefore the target person must have flipped up their heavy cloak to shield them or simply twisted in just the right way to slightly disrupt the spell caster's mental focus on the casting and "aiming."

If none of the above works for the Player, or I start to get an argument that my evil NPC can't do that, I say, "Well, it is magic after all, and sometimes odd stuff manifests oddly."

Remove ads