• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to find a lost warforged?

Herobizkit

Adventurer
During the course of the campaign, an NPC Warforged who was my character's personal "Butlertron" got captured by an invading force.

"Mark" was pushed into a portal and the portal closed before I could give chase.

Now, I've been scouring the 4e Scrying etc. rituals in order to locate him but I can't seem to find anything that can help pre-Epic (currently level 12 with the Mark of Scribing)

• Consult the Mystic Sages doesn't seem like it would work, as the lore isn't "ancient".
  • "Regular" scrying won't work because I don't have a personal "piece" of him.
  • View Location won't work because I don't know where he is and I likely haven't seen the area before.
  • Also, we destroyed the our fixed portal circle so the enemy can't try that same trick again.

Am I missing something, or is there just no way to find someone who goes completely 'missing' via magic?

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
Not that I know of, but there are like a zillion rituals.

Is it unlikely that your DM would turn your search into a (mini-)adventure, even if you specifically told him that you really want to find Mark?

Lalato

Adventurer
It's not perfect, but I think Hand of Fate will at least point you in the right direction. Ask your GM if you can pay someone in your local big city to use their Map of Unseen Lands... and then use an amped up version of Hand of Fate (maybe it costs three times normal to cast it) to point to the location on the map where Mark is located.

I think the combination of the ritual and the magic item should do the trick. It might not give you exact coordinates, but maybe it will at least get you within a days walk. After that, you can use Hand of Fate to better pinpoint the location.

Granted, you could use Hand of Fate without the magical map, but that would be tedious.

The Magic Map ritual, 9th-level, is probably what you need. It lets you follow someone ... on a map! It's better than a "this way!" hand too.

Of course this means you need a map of the area you think the warforged is in.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
The Magic Map ritual, 9th-level, is probably what you need. It lets you follow someone ... on a map! It's better than a "this way!" hand too.

Of course this means you need a map of the area you think the warforged is in.

"You must have an object that is tied to the creature, such as a bit of hair, a favorite scarf, or a personal weapon."

This is the issue I'm having. Mark doesn't have hair/nail clippings and doesn't shed, he doesn't wear clothes, and his personal weapons are all attached to him.

I do know that he has a Crown of Controlling which allows him to psychically communicate with other Warforged. In such a case, I might be able to use View Object (L18 Ritual) to locate said crown. I don't know where I will _find_ such a ritual, or if I can cast it until I reach level 18.

MarkB

Legend
"You must have an object that is tied to the creature, such as a bit of hair, a favorite scarf, or a personal weapon."

This is the issue I'm having. Mark doesn't have hair/nail clippings and doesn't shed, he doesn't wear clothes, and his personal weapons are all attached to him.

Warforged do perform regular maintenance, which might involve replacing small damaged surface areas, and if they're in combat, bits might get chipped off them. Could you get anything out of that?

If not, go for something more imaginative. Warforged are built in a Creation Forge, and the Forge that built Mark is definitely an object tied to him. Find that forge, and use it (or a piece of it) as a focus for the ritual.

Remove ads