D&D 5E How to Fly

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The earliest level I have figured out where a PC can fly is level 2 (outside of items or flying races).

Variant Human (Magic Initiate - Find Familiar) Druid Level 2.

Summon a flying familiar. Transform into a mouse. Have the familiar carry you around.

What other methods of early flight are there?

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Levitate is a second level spell I believe...and in my opinion one of the better second level spells since you can essentially eliminate an enemy from the battlefield if they have no ranged attacks and the ceiling is high enough.

Also you said no items but I think it's worth noting, for those who search out this thread in future years, that a broom of flying is only "uncommon" rather than rare. And it requires no attunement. It also has high utility beyond flying as you can send it to someone within a mile with a note attached (or even an unconscious person tied to it), and recall it, all with a command word.

Some DMs will let you purchase common and uncommon items in cities and a broom of flying is a bargain.

Last edited:

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Levitate is a second level spell I believe...and in my opinion one of the better second level spells since you can essentially eliminate an enemy from the battlefield if they have no ranged attacks and the ceiling is high enough.

Levitate is good but it's not flight.

The target can move only by pushing or pulling against a fixed object or surface within reach

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Playing 5e? Several ways to do it at level 1.

As a cleric, cast thaumaturgy on a door, and hang on tight. The door must be open and unlocked, because "you cause an unlocked door to fly open."

Make your Flaw "weightless."

Throw yourself at the ground. Fail the check.

Remove ads