• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How To Foil Comprehend Languages?

Shin Okada

Explorer
Make it into a magical voice recorder. It is not written, recorded. Also, it is not spoken by a creature. Thus, Comprehend Languages does not work.

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Remember when you used to play telephone as a kid? Maybe the text the PCs find is a translation of a translation of a translation, so the literal meaning is going to be worthless. For example, I cast Comprehend Languages (aka, Babelfish) to translate your original post from English to German to French to Greek to English again:

With a de.plus occasion that I have, it wanted it uses a Plotpunkte that wise man you require it translates the written equipment. Nevertheless, why you use Salbei, if the most impossible priest can all include immediately that speaks jcrit or? De.plus, I wish sometimes the text that is not "djchiffrable and requires little the special knowledge apokwdjkopoji'ste the notice. Nevertheless, you include languages you appear, this in the 1. level to cross completely! there it has that jdjoej'taj maj way in order to you would have the letters (diagrams or graphiques or that so always) that they are included beyond it can't include languages?

shilsen

Adventurer
As the spell says, "The ability to read does not necessarily impart insight into the material, merely its literal meaning." So the idiomatic aspects of the given language is not going to be translated, and can be a serious hindrance to understanding.

To use a simple example from normal English usage, most of us understand what it means when you say "The :):):):) is going to hit the fan." To a non-English speaker encountering the phrase in translation, it makes no sense whatsoever.

mr_outsidevoice

First Post
you can easily still require the knowledge roll after Comp Languages.

I have no programming skill or ability at all. My roommate has a number of books on different codes. These books are written in English, but I cannot understand them at all, because I lack the knowledge needed.

smootrk

First Post
Comprehend Languages does not necessary translate thing written in code. Just knowing the language does not have to mean that the message was written in a way that is understandable to just anyone. --see DaVinci Code, or how the military historically transmits messages in code hidden in other messages.

dvvega

Explorer
From what I understand of your question, you are not hiding coded messages in the runes/inscriptions/text, but merely want them to have to hire someone to translate instead of using the spell.

As the rules are written you have little recourse.

The spell however gives you some options.

It doesn't clearly explain what touching means. Do they have to run their fingers over each letter/word while under the effect of the text? This is a good way out of your dilema.

Many ancient civilisations could very well trap their inscribed walls/objects. The movie the Mummy has a particularly nasty acid trap in one of the sarcophagi.

If they have to touch every word then have thousands of words. They will require multiple castings. Most PCs only memorise 1 utility spell at a time.

The following suggestions are Rule 0 territory in general ...

At leat with priests you have another option - does their deity actually care about diviniation spells? If not the deity may reject their prayers for Comprehend Languages.

As for Wizards, don't allow them to access certain spells during the game based on where they research their new spells. In my world, for example, divination of ancient texts has actually been systematically restricted throughout history (because certain people/races don't want the truth to come out about a past age).

Bards fall into the Wizard category. However their forte is understanding the unknwon. So perhaps there is a special guild out there (hidden of course) where they might find what they seek.

Another option which I really like is to read Sean Reynolds' webpage. He has an article regarding absolute spells versus skill modifier spells.

The gist of it is that some spells work automatically when they really shouldn't. For example Find Traps gives you a skill bonus to Search. Comprehend Languages should give a skill bonus to Decipher Script as opposed to automatic success.

The article's full text can be found at:

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/variantfewerabsolutes1.html

and

http://www.seankreynolds.com/rpgfiles/misc/variantfewerabsolutes2.html

I think that this is a much better solution, elegant, and doesn't penalise a player for wanting the spell. You then set the DC of deciphering high enough so that it requires a lucky roll, or a sage of some description.

Of course a bard or rogue with appropriate access (spell knowledge or use magic device) could get past your DC but it makes it a little harder.

D

Lord Pendragon

First Post
I had the same issue in my game. I wanted Decipher Script to be a useful skill, and I wanted to provide a few mysteries in the form of ancient texts. I found it simplest to just remove Comprehend Languages from my game. I allow Tongues, since it doesn't convey understanding of writing.

Problem solved.

werk

First Post
I'm going to go with Crothian on this one.

"You don't understand why, but for some reason comprehend languages simply doesn't work at all on the writing."

Storyteller01

First Post
In my game, not all priests in a church are nessecarily spellcasters. If you're given the gift of spellcasting (for those of unusually string faith, or your god simply has no one else to do the job), you're expected to go out and do the gods will. Usually doesn't happen in a church (see missionary work... :) ).

Other than that, I go with the 'literal translation requires deeper understanding' or 'these were private notes. Large pieces of info are missing, most likely because the writer assumed it to be common knowledge or it would be read by those who know whats missing'.

My two pesos...

Remove ads