D&D 3E/3.5 How to get around the 50/50 hit chance for ranged attacks into a grapple?

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
I'm playing a 3.5 game at the moment after a very long time, and one of our party members is turning to grappling opponents to lock them down. This is great as I'm an Arcane Trickster who does ray attacks and tries to get sneak attack with them.

The problem is that when they're grappled, there's this 50/50 chance of who I'm going to hit with a ranged attack. I see my only option for continuing to stay at a safe range is to get Improved Precise Attack. The problem with that is that ... I can get the +11 BAB pre-req by just about the end of the campaign. It has been a really long time since I played/ran 3.5 so I'm not remembering if there are any other options to get around this. Any ideas?

I'd be happy with a magic item or other feat option that I might be able to use to get there. If there isn't one, I'll just concentrate more on being Batman, since I had all but forgotten how amazing wizards are.

TheDelphian

Explorer
HAven't played 3.5 in years but I remember you can get magic items that grant feats with tis formula I think.

5k + 5k For each prerequisite it is granting you. Not sure if thathelps but maybe a chort cut.

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
HAven't played 3.5 in years but I remember you can get magic items that grant feats with tis formula I think.

5k + 5k For each prerequisite it is granting you. Not sure if thathelps but maybe a chort cut.
That's my problem too: I haven't played it in a loooooong time. In fact it was this very module (Shackled City) that convinced me to never run 3.5 again, but our GM is having a good time, so who can I argue with.

If you have any specific info or a cite for that item, that would be fantastic, as it would be a simple solution to my problem. We are just finishing up with the Zenith Trajectory chapter and I have a fair bit of money and also some time to get the item commissioned.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
It has been a really long time since I played/ran 3.5 so I'm not remembering if there are any other options to get around this. Any ideas?
Ready an action to shoot when your opponent braces for grappling, but before the grapple begins?

Make sure your grappling ally is one size category smaller than the grapplee? (Should be 25/75 odds...)

Maybe check Complete Arcane for a feat that protects allies from friendly fire?

Remove ads