• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to get started DMing

Privateer

First Post
In my opinion, to properly make the switch from player to DM you must be intimately familiar with the rules (or at least so familiar that most combat options, class abilites and common spells are known to you) and be willing to accept that the first campaign you run, no matter what, will tank. It will bomb, just you wait. If someone says their first campaign was on par with their current skill, or says their first adventure went well, they are lying :D

You've got to be able to ad-lib and be prepared for the fact that your players will do things you do not expect.

I don't think there's a "you have to play D&D for __ years in order to DM" clause, and it's normally unneccesary.

To get started DMing, either write a simple adventure or buy a simple module. I'm sure someone else can help you with ideas on suitable modules -- I'm a home-brewed adventure man, for the most part.

Ed Cha

Community Supporter
I'd recommend using published adventures before homebrewing. At some point, you may start buying adventures just to get ideas and inspiration instead of actually running them. I probably own a hundred or more adventures, but have only ran a handful of them.

I don't think it's a matter of time to determine if someone can DM or not. Anyone can DM, but the question is: "Can you do it well?" DMing is a hard job, but with some time and experience you will get better and better.

So, what makes a good DM? The answer is simple—the ability to run a fun game session. Here are 12 key signs of a good DM:

1. A good understanding of the rules and how to manipulate them to your own campaign.

2. The ability to improvise and be flexible with the adventure.

3. The desire to have fun with the group, not at its expense.

4. The capability to empower player characters without overpowering them.

5. Knowing the basic elements of a role-playing game.

6. Knowing when to be flexible and when to be firm.

7. Adding dramatics to the descriptions.

8. Knowing the PCs and fully utilizing NPC tactics.

9. Being innovative.

10. Keeping good track of time.

11. Being prepared.

12. Knowing when to take a break.

These are all detailed in my company's debut product "World of Whitethorn 1A: The Hamlet of Thumble".

For more information, visit the Web site here:

http://www.openworldpress.com

You may also want to check out a thread here http://enworld.cyberstreet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47525 on EN World about DMing advice.

JoeGKushner

First Post
Hida Bukkorosu said:
One more question: Is it better to try dming your first campaign with experienced players or novices?

There are pros and cons to both situations.

For example, all novices might lead to hours spent looking for simple rules or handling simple issues.

Experienced players on the other hand might try to intimidate a new GM with their knowledge or utilize material he's not familiar with.

Ranes

Adventurer
Hi Hida,

I'm not disagreeing with any of the previous posts but I do think you can start DMing straight away, if you want to. If you think you have a grasp of the basic rules, a clear idea of the DM's role and some friends who might be interested, do it.

You will make mistakes but, if you and your friends are willing to learn the basics together, you won't have any serious problems. Even the phrase 'learn the basics' is loaded. You and your friends only have to develop an understanding between yourselves of what it is you're doing when you play.

Having said all that, you have come to the right place for as much DMing advice as you can handle, as your thread has already proved, this post notwithstanding. Welcome to the boards!

Last edited:

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Ranes said:
I'm not disagreeing with any of the previous posts but I do think you can start DMing straight away, if you want to. If you think you have a grasp of the basic rules, a clear idea of the DM's role and some friends who might be interested, do it.

You will make mistakes but, if you and your friends are willing to learn the basics together, you won't have any serious problems. Even the phrase 'learn the basics' is loaded. You and your friends only have to develop an understanding between yourselves of what it is you're doing when you play.

Having said all that, you have come to the right place for as much DMing advice as you can handle, as your thread has already proved, this post notwithstanding. Welcome to the boards!

The Man from Mars has a good point... :)

Don't forget to pick up Questus - The Whispering Woodwind! :)

Teflon Billy

Explorer
Privateer said:
....be willing to accept that the first campaign you run, no matter what, will tank. It will bomb, just you wait.

....You've got to be able to ad-lib and be prepared for the fact that your players will do things you do not expect...

I think if you have these two aspects of Privateer's post in place, you have everything you need.

I'm serious.

Enceladus

First Post
It will bomb, just you wait. If someone says their first campaign was on par with their current skill, or says their first adventure went well, they are lying

My first was terrible. I had no idea what I was getting myself into. Heck, it's probably the reason I don't game with my original group anymore. I'm sure they still hate my guts and talk about me as the worst DM ever.
All the advice in the world doesn't amount to a heap of crap compared to time and experience.

Remove ads