• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to get Use Magic Device as a class skill

photon1966

First Post
How are you using UMD?

Hello, if I may be so bold to ask how your using UMD skill. I myself in my home brew campaign have placed magic itms that are race specific, as there has been a long history of singular races in dominance. Right now it is the humans time and I have made there magic items universal. But I have old elven, Dwarven, and Yuan Ti items planned for them to find but to get the full effect you need to be a certain race to get .

I don't know how it works mechanicaly but it works storywise for my campaign. I think I recall it actually cheaper to make an item restricted in some way but it really isn't a huge factor I am thinking about.

Two examples was a bridge that was a wall of force and allowed to cross a steep river filled ravine. Elves long ago placed the bridge and only elves could activate it. Another was a dwarven axe which was sharp and dig nice damage but nothing special until the dwarf took hold of it and learned it was great for killing gnolls. These are just the tip of the iceberg. Common items that humans craft work for everyone the same, like potions and scrolls, and common armour but dwarven armour for example I try to tie it to one of the clans and give it a common clan ability like fortifcation or the like.

Just wondering if anyone else has used the same idea or somehting similar for your adventure.

Remove ads