• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to handle a shapechanging Mermaid

S

Sunseeker

How did you handle clothing and shape-shifting?

Having some kind of a tail is the "natural form" of the merfolk. So they either wear long robes or well...nothing. So restrictive clothing was destroyed and magical items were dropped, but not destroyed (unless it was some kind of restrictive clothing). Players can buy specific "adjustable" clothing is they are of the mer races but time must be taken after a shapeshift to adjust it.

Fergurg

Explorer
Well, we'll talk tonight. This gave me a lot to think on.
The player is fairly new to the game, but loves mermaids so I thought it would be a good hook to get her excited. I'm leaning on rather making her a subtype of merfolk that grows legs, I might just make her a special merfolk that has a magical blessing/ritual that changes her, allowing her some modesty.
I'll update on what gets done tonight.

Playing 5th edition makes this easier. How about this:

Instead of her playing as a mermaid, have her make her character with the background of a polymorphed mermaid. Something went wrong and now, she is stuck in a land-based mode (not necessarily human, but could be). She still thinks like a mermaid, probably wants to be back in the freedom of the sea, and is adjusting to life above the seas until whatever happened to her gets undone.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Playing 5th edition makes this easier. How about this:

Instead of her playing as a mermaid, have her make her character with the background of a polymorphed mermaid. Something went wrong and now, she is stuck in a land-based mode (not necessarily human, but could be). She still thinks like a mermaid, probably wants to be back in the freedom of the sea, and is adjusting to life above the seas until whatever happened to her gets undone.

And you could name her Ariel!

Remathilis

Legend
Ok, quick update since I just got off the phone with her before game.

I mentioned about the "pants problem" she'd have, and she kinda realized she didn't want to always be bottomsless. So we opted for a compromise; she's going to be a water genasi who is "half-mermaid". That way, she can swim, breathe in water, and have "funky blue hair" but also not have to worry about clothes.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I might keep the concept around for an NPC later, but at least now I don't have to worry about it. :)

Kikuras

First Post
Ok, quick update since I just got off the phone with her before game.

I mentioned about the "pants problem" she'd have, and she kinda realized she didn't want to always be bottomsless. So we opted for a compromise; she's going to be a water genasi who is "half-mermaid". That way, she can swim, breathe in water, and have "funky blue hair" but also not have to worry about clothes.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I might keep the concept around for an NPC later, but at least now I don't have to worry about it. :)

The curmudgeon in me is pleased by this. Logical problem solving with an eye to creativity makes us happy, and I hope it works out that the player, and everyone has fun with it. Maybe a few fishy-smell jokes. :D

MechaPilot

Explorer
Okay, I have a friend who is interested in playing a merfolk. Rather than tell her about how bad tails are for dungeon crawling, I've opted to resurrect and idea I had before: a merfolk who change change her fins to feet and back. (A moderately common notion for merfolk). Problem is, I don't know what to do about some complications that arise from that kind of change: everytime she shifts, what would happen to the clothes and armor she wears below her waist. Right now, I have some ideas, but I want some feedback.

1.) Everything below her waist merges magically into her tail and back again: akin to a druid's shapechanging. Its non-functional, but when she returns to human form, she still has it.
2.) Same as above, but doesn't apply to her feet: she can't wear boots/shoes and shapeshift without ruining them.
3.) Everything below her waist automatically falls off on the ground. Any armor worn on her legs, boots or shoes, and pants ends up on a pile on the floor. Its probably more "realistic" than trying to explain how her gear merges into her, but everytime she shifts back; she's naked from the waist down. (I suppose a robe or dress would still work though).
4.) As 3, but unless she takes the time to take off said items, they could be ruined. (Clothes ripped, buckles break, shoes tatter). Most "realistic" type of transformation, but least "fun".

So I'm looking for some advice on how to handle this transformation in the most logical (yet fair) way.

For the "logical yet fair" option that you described, I would go with #3. My individual preference (which would be geared more toward fun and ease of play) would be #1, because it gets rid of any consideration about how a character's AC changes when she loses the lower half of her armor, and because you don't have to adjust for magic items being shed every time her shape changes.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads