• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to handle traps?

Miginath

First Post
Any good suggestions on how to successfully run traps? Do you allow a spot check to see if anything is amiss in the area or do the characters have to be actively searching for traps along the way. Everyone knows to check doors for traps but what if a hallway is rigged?
Any tips would be mucho appreciated.

Crothian

First Post
If the trap is done right you can't just see it which is what spot is. So, one needs to actively search. If there is a trap in the middle of the hallway they can search for it they are paroniod or they can set them off.

Artoomis

First Post
In addition to the above responses, I's make a secret spot check (perhaps one roll at the parties highest bonus) to see if anyone notices something.

A very experienced character who puts many ranks in search and spot should have a chance - but I'd use search for "active" seaches for traps and "spot" for "passive" spotting of traps.

That may or may not follow the literal rules closely, but I think it works pretty well. It's even easier if the DM rolls the checks ahead of time and notes whether each trap will be noticed or not. Some traps WILL be noticed - they just aren't made well-enough to trap the well-seasoned adventure. Others are only discovered by the most careful searching by only the most experienced and skilled trap-bait, er... uh..., I mean character with many ranks in search.

Since using the Search skill means actively searching for a trap, and a spot check means passive recognition, you could make a secret Spot check at a higher DC as the Search Check (DC +5?)

But be aware that only rogues can ever hope to find a trap with a DC of 20+ using the search skill, so this might not be ... fair. But to each his own :)

Mustrum Ridcully

Artoomis

First Post
Mustrum_Ridcully said:
Since using the Search skill means actively searching for a trap, and a spot check means passive recognition, you could make a secret Spot check at a higher DC as the Search Check (DC +5?)

But be aware that only rogues can ever hope to find a trap with a DC of 20+ using the search skill, so this might not be ... fair. But to each his own :)

Mustrum Ridcully

Well, the DM has to use some common sense here. A "spot" DC would need to be assigned +10 to the DC sound right to me, with no chance for a non-rogue to find any trap with a (non-modified) DC of 21+.

But we are getting into house rules now.

Li Shenron

Legend
I totally agree with Artoomis: a single Spot check for all the party can be rolled (secretly) to notice something strange, which will suggest that there is something to Search in that precise place.
The Search check is instead done actively and by single PCs.

You can roll the Spot check beforehand, but I usually don't because I like to leave surprises for myself also, and because I tend to behave too benevolently/malevolently when I know a result before.

You may also give the PCs a bonus on the Search check if the Spot result was very high (like they know exactly which small portion of the area is to be examined).

Rashak Mani

First Post
How hard should it be to see a pit trap outdoors disguised by Snow cover and possibly a little magic ? It should be 20 ft wide.

Spot at how much ? Well hidden, fresh snow cover, Priest of Trickery domain god made it. Around 30 ft long and 20 ft wide.

What if I used illusion over it ? Since no interaction possible before falling ... should be very good.

Also if the PC are running toward the trap... how much penalty on the spot ? Also once the PC falls in... should I give a relfex save to allow him to hold the edge of the pit ?

telepox

First Post
No trap should be seen with a Spot check, uless it is poorly made or lacking the quality of most traps. A Search check must be made to find most traps. You "Spot" with your eyes, you "Search" with your hands, while not always the case, more often than not separates the two skills. Normally you can't Spot a pressure plate or know that pulling the door open launches a javelin at you from behind it without searching the door for traps. For a rogue, the trap mechanism might not been seen and might be felt by running a tool along the edge of the door, something that could never been seen or "Spotted".

Gromm

First Post
telepox said:
No trap should be seen with a Spot check, uless it is poorly made or lacking the quality of most traps. A Search check must be made to find most traps. You "Spot" with your eyes, you "Search" with your hands, while not always the case, more often than not separates the two skills. Normally you can't Spot a pressure plate or know that pulling the door open launches a javelin at you from behind it without searching the door for traps. For a rogue, the trap mechanism might not been seen and might be felt by running a tool along the edge of the door, something that could never been seen or "Spotted".

Agreed, Search is for traps and Spot is for creatures.

You can't Spot a trap in most cases.

Think of a trap as being a pipe bomb in a mailbox (sorry local news). Looking at the mail box doesn't do you any good, no matter how good you can see. Only by examining the box (Search) by say tapping it and listening for irregular sounds, or by examining the door do you have a chance of knowing its there.

Now if it was a poorly designed trap (ie a wire leading outside the mailbox or something similar), then you could Spot it. But as a rule it doesn't work.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads