• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to increase a constructs hit points?

If you have a construct NPC, since it has no CON score, how could you bump up its hit points? I'm thinking of course magic items, which maybe have damage reduction qualities. But I'd like more HP. Toughness as a bonus feat would be a less favorable method.

Rackhir

Explorer
What exactly do you mean by "Add HP"? Is this as a player for a golem you are making or DM? The entries in the SRD/MM indicate that you can add HD to golems to make them tougher. The Stone Golem SRD entry at least also has a "maxed out" Stone Golem, listed as a "Greater Stone Golem". That entry also indicates how much it costs to construct a Greater Stone Golem. So between that and the listing for the base stone golem you should be able to calculate how much it would cost a PC/NPC to add a HD to a golem.

This is a "fighter construct" of unique nature. It is a warforged husk we found and with a forge, schema and magic spells, we've animated it. The DM said I can stat it out, as a 3rd level fighter of Construct type. Essentially a cheap golem or complex animated object.

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
jgbrowning said:
Give it max hp. You don't have to go with the average.

Monte Cook endorsed this idea at Origins during the RttToEE seminar. Hit points, to his mind, were just a game mechanic to ensure the combat lasted longer.

Makes sense to me.

Increased hardness/DR is similar to extra hit points. It's not as good when you hit the higher levels and simply overwhelm it but DR5/- is a heckuva boost for a 20ish hit point construct.

I'm going to show the stats I have now to the DM and see what he says, then mention max HP's. Considering the wide berth we've been given with this experiment, I would say max HP is not too much to ask.

Remove ads