• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to keep demons out of harm's way in the Abyss?

Greenfield

Adventurer
What levels of spells does the party have access to?

Bestow Curse is 3rd, for a Cleric. Would probably call a custom version that can do bigger effects like those described 5th or 6th. Of course, that would be a custom spell, calling for DM approval.

But it does make an odd vision, St. Francis in the garden, surrounded by gentle woodland creatures, all plotting their revenge. :)

jvdburgt

First Post
[MENTION=78958]Empirate[/MENTION]: Nice thinking! I think I can manage to incorporate such an emotional struggle in my play. The outward side of it would be (from the top of my head) something like reacting more radically to certain situations, and behaving more unpredictable. I can imagine thinking up some trigger situations for a confusion kind of effect (minus the "attack bla bla" outcomes of course). For instance, while in the Abyss I have to make a will save at the start of each battle for this confusion effect to take hold of me, -1 penalty for each consecutive day in the Abyss.

Cool idea!
[MENTION=6669384]Greenfield[/MENTION]: spell levels are not fantastic, I got access to the beguiler spell-list up to 4th level, and the druid is 9th level (so 1 5th lvl spell a day). I'm not to familiar with the druid's spell list though. I think I might petition my DM so that I may learn bestow curse (not normally in the beguiler's spell list, so at some significant cost I would say). I read somewhere that it's pretty much okay to tie whatever 1st or 2nd level spell effect as a penalty to the curse. My specific curse would than be something like: "whenever the creature wants to perform a violent action, hideous laughter or hypnotic pattern will take effect. Would that be okay (as in not cheesy/overpowered) in your eyes?

Greenfield

Adventurer
Adding spells to a Beguiler's list isn't easily done. As in, there really isn't a mechanism, normally, other than to start mixing classes and PRCs.

Beguiler/Wizard/Ultimate Magus works, in that it allows you to (eventually) move spells from the Wizard book into the Beguiler list.

PRCs like Sandshaper also work, since their primary purpose seems to be to add a lot of spells to a spontaneous caster's list. And while Sandshaper doesn't have Flesh to Stone, it does have Flesh to Salt. That spell, however, does do lethal damage, so it might not be for you.

Dozen

First Post
Since the beguiler gets some illusions outside his spellist, I'd recommend Nightmare Terrain for you to take next time you have a chance. It doesn't do damage, but it's a strong debuff and lets you play ranger-in-a-can given you have points in hide.

Last edited:

Dozen

First Post
What book mentions this layer? Because it's not one that I recall reading about, and it's not listed in Wikipedia's list of Abyssal layers.
It was mentioned way back in First Ed. Supposedly, the Demon Lord Feistus rules over it, who converts or captures concubines of all races and both gender to serve in his army as seducors and living shields, and when they aren't fighting, they live on this mess of a plane. It's actually a city the size of a layer aboundant in dark alleys, taverns and redlamped apartments. And from what I gather about pimps and Chaotic Evil people, I deduced the whores might not like it there.

Last edited:

Dozen

First Post
But what book specifically?
No clue. I wasn't even born yet when First Ed came out. This is only what I've gathered about it. But now I'm curious myself, so I'll look deep into the hole.

Edit: Man, I actually said this. Wasn't even on purpose! XD

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads