• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how to make a mech???

just wondering if anyone else has thought about makeing a mech for dnd. is it possible? and what class could do it? what spells would it require?? any help would be greatly appreciated. just so you know my dm is very very flexable when it comes to rules as long as i can explain things.

Aeric

Explorer
The obvious choice would be construct, although in one campaign I ran, I had mecha which were giant undead. They were controlled by means of a special circlet (similar to the old Skeletal Warriors...dunno if those made it into 3.5) from within the creature's chest cavity. You could also make it a Wondrous Item.

Slapzilla

First Post
Check out what you need to make a Shield Guardian. Making it so you can wear it and augment your abilities shouldn't be too tough to add. It would be cool if you could summon it too. Treat it as magic armor with benefits. As armor though, surely the spell failure chance while wearing it would be crazy. Hmm, work on that. But I suppose that an arcane spellcaster who wanted one of these things wants it to fight in. Adding plasma swords and a blaster cannon would be weird but a force weapon and maybe Chain Lightening would fit. Hope this helps.

shield guardian isn't a bad idea, very very expensive though. we were actually looking at clockwork steed. we didn't see anyreason where you had to be "on" a mechanical mount. we also brought up makeing a mech for everyone in the party and having them be able to join together like voltron. at that though, my dm just rolled his eyes. d20 future has rules for mecha but i'm not sure if a direct crossover would actually work, seeing how technology in dnd isn't nearly advanced enough for it. but with magic... anything is possible.

Tyonisius

First Post
One of my DnD buddies told me a story about a Gnome city in the sky. They had planes with guns and such. The guns were actually just wands of fireball and lightning bolt, etc. And for bombs they dropped Oozes and Cubes, etc. So creating a Mech type Construct that does similar stuff should be about the same. Sounds like fun but complex. Let me know how it works out!

Herobizkit

Adventurer
guardianfallenangel said:
d20 future has rules for mecha but i'm not sure if a direct crossover would actually work, seeing how technology in dnd isn't nearly advanced enough for it. but with magic... anything is possible.
You know what else has rules for d20 mecha? D20 Mecha. It was created by the (now defunct, I think) Guardians of Order, and you might be able to find it floating about. It has ideas for explaining mecha in a fantasy world as well... and if you're into sourcebooks, absolutely get GURPS: Mecha. Invaluable.

DriveThru RPG has D20 Mecha available in PDF form.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads