• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make a player stop being a paladin

Kaji

First Post
I think Pielorinho got it right. Sure, if the guys dragging the game down with his constant preaching or somesuch, get him to lay off. But if he digs the paladins, what's wrong with that? Let him go crazy. As a DM, you can use it as a base to flesh out your world. Make his god require that he joins an order. Give him some superiors in that order. Have them give the paladin tasks, some cool, some boring, some that the rest of the party will balk at. Mix it up and add structure to the class. The player will either love it (good for you) or decide to stop playing paladins (good for you, I guess). I'm DMing 2 paladins right now, and I can assure you they are mostly broke all the time and have numerous tasks before them set by their order that they might not normally do, but in a character context works just great. They've built shrines, taught local classes about martial training, donated tons of money to orphans, and they love it. Give it some thought.

bret

First Post
If you are starting a new campaign any time soon, say that everyone (not just the Paladin's player) must play a different class and race than their most recent character.

This way all the players are likely to have to mix it up a little.

starwolf

First Post
Maybe this will change his mind...

Just explain that in the new campaign all paladins must follow the true code:

1st Ed. Paladin Code

1. They may never retain more than ten magic items; these may never exceed:
armour, 1 (suit)
shield, 1
weapons*, 4
any other magic items, 4

*these include daggers, swords, etc.; and such items as magic bows and magic arrows are considered as but 1 weapon

2. They will never retain wealth, keeping only sufficient treasures to support themselves in a modest manner, pay henchmen, men-at-arms, and servitors, and to construct or maintain a small castle. (Your DM will give details of this as necessary.) Excess is given away, as is the tithe (see 3.below).

3. An immediate tithe (10%) of all income -- be it treasure, wages, or whatever -- must be given to whatever charitable religious institution (not a clerical player character) of lawful good alignment the paladin selects.

4. Paladins will have henchman of lawful good alignment and none other; they will associate only with characters and creatures of good alignment; paladins can join a company of adventurers which contains non-evil neutrals only on a single-expedition basis, and only if some end which will further the cause of lawful good is purposed.

5. If possible, paladins will take service or form an alliance with lawful good characters, whether players or not, who are clerics or fighters (of noble status).

Gunslinger

First Post
Re: Maybe this will change his mind...

starwolf said:
Just explain that in the new campaign all paladins must follow the true code:

1st Ed. Paladin Code

-snip-

That's horridly restrictive. I can't see any reason for anyone to play that class. If careful planning isn't taking when creating the party, then he'll be off by himself, which is no fun. Furthermore, I know I would object to having to been good, with a tendency toward lawfulness. My favorite alignment is LN, and under those rules I couldn't campaign with a Paladin.

Kibo

Banned
Banned
Could always go the aftermath route. Economies are crumbling, the communities of rightious knights aka paladins are struggling to maintain their identities. Their way of life is expensive requiring the support of many people and vast amounts of resources. But there is poverty everywhere. People of means, the few that there are, are subjected to mistrust, and people of noble birth or orthodoxy are considered people of means possibly despite subsisting in crushing poverty. Who wants to play the role of the hero who gets run out of town just after secretly saving it? Well lots of people. But it would likely change quite a bit what it means to be a paladin, and thus how he plays a paladin. Maybe fun for you, maybe fun for him too.

ConcreteBuddha

First Post
Is this really a Rules thread?
If you don't have Paladins in your world, then disallow Paladins.

If you do have Paladins in your world, and Paladins fit into the party/storyline, then let the guy play a Paladin. What harm is being caused by him playing a Paladin? It's not like he's kicking your cat or anything...

Lighten up. He'll change when he wants to change. Trying to force him into a mold isn't a very friendly thing to do. Know what I mean? :)

ThorneMD

First Post
Re: Maybe this will change his mind...

starwolf said:
1st Ed. Paladin Code

1. They may never retain more than ten magic items; these may never exceed:
armour, 1 (suit)
shield, 1
weapons*, 4
any other magic items, 4

*these include daggers, swords, etc.; and such items as magic bows and magic arrows are considered as but 1 weapon

2. They will never retain wealth, keeping only sufficient treasures to support themselves in a modest manner, pay henchmen, men-at-arms, and servitors, and to construct or maintain a small castle. (Your DM will give details of this as necessary.) Excess is given away, as is the tithe (see 3.below).

3. An immediate tithe (10%) of all income -- be it treasure, wages, or whatever -- must be given to whatever charitable religious institution (not a clerical player character) of lawful good alignment the paladin selects.

4. Paladins will have henchman of lawful good alignment and none other; they will associate only with characters and creatures of good alignment; paladins can join a company of adventurers which contains non-evil neutrals only on a single-expedition basis, and only if some end which will further the cause of lawful good is purposed.

5. If possible, paladins will take service or form an alliance with lawful good characters, whether players or not, who are clerics or fighters (of noble status).

I think that I will use these rules with a few modifications. I personally think the paladin gets too much and sacrifices too little. Thanks everyone and if this dosen't work out I think I will just talk to him and hope he stops. As for a few of you how said the problem is with the player. Thats wrong, he seriously takes the same charcter, with a different name and maybe a few different skills and ability scores.

Bonedagger

First Post
How to stop a player from playing something you don't want him to play? Tell him that it is no longer cool with that race/class (Don't mention your personal view).... Hey. It works for me. :)

You don't have to explain your reason. You are the GM and the only one who is familiar with the senario to come.

The negative side is that it doesn't work if somebody else is playing that same thing :rolleyes:

Last edited:

DiFier

First Post
have all the other charachters call his current paladin by his last paladin's name. :D

it seems to me that the problem isn't that he is playing a paladin but that he is playing the same charachter he was playing last time. if he does switch to a new class he will probablly play the same charachter (probablly with a slightly different bent) but he will be simialar to the other chars he's played. I think you'll just have to live with it. you can see simalarities when people plan different charachters. The obnoxious, easily bored, glory hound will be those things whatever class he is (heck he'll still be like that when you play shadowrun)

It probablly happens with your other players too. but because they don't play the same class each time it is less obvious.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Re: Re: Maybe this will change his mind...

ThorneMD said:
Thanks everyone and if this dosen't work out I think I will just talk to him and hope he stops.

I hate to be contradictory, but that's really not the right order to do things in. You always talk first. If you try to force the issue through another path first, you're likely to cheese the player off, and make him more obstinate than before.

Look at what you're planning to do - change the rules for the express purpose of getting him to not play the character. In my book, that's pretty underhanded (and passive agressive to boot). If you're going to change the rules on him to get him to not play it, at least be direct, and disallow all paladins.

Your stated problem isn't with the rules themselves. It's with the player. Address teh actual problem. You'll all be better off for it.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads