• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make a 'ring of friend shield' in MnM?

I'm trying to make characters for a one shot, two lovers with devices that let them take the wounds of the other. How would I pull that off with Mutants & Masterminds.

Ben Robbins

First Post
You could start with Interpose, increase it to Reaction (+1) and increase range to "anywhere" (fudged one above Perception, +3). Looks like 5 pp, pseudo-legal.

EDIT Oh, and flaw it to only work on each other. So 4 pp each.

takyris

First Post
That's good for avoiding damage. For taking damage for each other, you might go with a triggered Heal with the Empathic flaw. Up the range to Perception, lower the Action to Reaction, and then apply a special "Only for my true love, wherever (s)he is" extra that nets to +0 (+2 for advancing Perception to "wherever" and -2 for "only works on one true love").

takyris said:
That's good for avoiding damage. For taking damage for each other, you might go with a triggered Heal with the Empathic flaw. Up the range to Perception, lower the Action to Reaction, and then apply a special "Only for my true love, wherever (s)he is" extra that nets to +0 (+2 for advancing Perception to "wherever" and -2 for "only works on one true love").

So heal is 2 per rank, -1 for empathic, +2 to go from touch to perception, +4 to go from full action to reaction, -2 for limited to just one person (who is not me). That's 5 pp per rank, plus 1 on top of that for triggered.

This is a device that is hard to take away, so the device costs 4 pp per 5 pp of the power. So let's say there's one rank of healing (5pp) and the ring also grants your true love a +8 bonus to Constitution checks for recovery purposes (Regeneration 8 ranks with a penalty, since it only works with the ring). So that makes the cost 5pp + 7pp + 1pp for the trigger. And we'll add in a 1pp super sense communication link, and a 1pp emotion control to let you grant the emotion 'Hope' to your love.

So that's 15pp worth of powers in a 12pp device. And the way it works is, whenever the other person wearing the ring is hurt, I can choose to heal them 1 hit by taking that damage myself. That sounds fair.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I'd also make sure that that ring has a restriction that it makes any damage that the "protector" recieves bypass regeneration. This would prevent the person who becomes the "meat shield" from shrugging off the damage it inflicts; thus making the damage more significant and would prevent the ring bearer from abusing the power (and their lover).

Last edited:

Remove ads