• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 3E/3.5 how to make a 'silly' setting in dnd 3.5?

Miziziziz

First Post
I wanted to make a more 'silly setting for dnd. I've done a picture of the royal family, as an example.
Everything totally ridiculous, cartoonified versions of monsters. I want to follow a Final Fantasy 9 style kind of.
Y5iVO.jpg

any tips? I don't want to make it childish, I'm aiming to make it actually funny.

BriarMonkey

First Post
So... Are you looking for advice on mechanics, types of encounters, environmental elements? Do you want everything off-kilter, or just a few elements to play up the elements at court? What is your bench mark for funny as opposed to childish or silly?

And, you mention first wanting "silly" then note you want "funny". Which do you want? And just as a note, there is a very fine line between silly and funny - it's quite easy to lapse into silly and the entire game pretty much falls apart due to the utter nonsensicalness.

Miziziziz

First Post
So... Are you looking for advice on mechanics, types of encounters, environmental elements? Do you want everything off-kilter, or just a few elements to play up the elements at court? What is your bench mark for funny as opposed to childish or silly?
yes advice on all those things, I have ideas, but I want to hear others ideas also, to make sure I do the right thing. Are there any books out on this type of setting also? I want to make it mostly off-kilter, but not enough to lapse in utter nonsense.
And, you mention first wanting "silly" then note you want "funny". Which do you want? And just as a note, there is a very fine line between silly and funny - it's quite easy to lapse into silly and the entire game pretty much falls apart due to the utter nonsensicalness.
I want it silly in a humorous way, but I very much want to avoid utter nonsensicalness, which is why I'm posting on here asking for advice.
thanks!

The quickest way it to give people humorous and outlandish traits, and rather than modify the monsters or equipment, just modify the names and appearance

A dragon could become a 40foot tall fire breathing cabbage, that doesn't change what it is, but it is certainly a strange thing to plague a town and eat the local live stock

A warrior armed with a snowcone could be treated as having a longsword, just give it the appearance of a snowcone.

Miziziziz

First Post
The quickest way it to give people humorous and outlandish traits, and rather than modify the monsters or equipment, just modify the names and appearance

A dragon could become a 40foot tall fire breathing cabbage, that doesn't change what it is, but it is certainly a strange thing to plague a town and eat the local live stock

A warrior armed with a snowcone could be treated as having a longsword, just give it the appearance of a snowcone.
yeah, that's what I was planning on.

Miziziziz

First Post
I was thinking of making a group called the 'Round Knights of The Table', featuring chivalry,dragon slaying, and fine dining and cuisine. Since it's a peaceful province, there's been more focus on the latter. Now, when a dragon does appear, they will probably get roasted.
I think adding realistic viciousness to silly characters makes it possibly more scary: A funny-looking rotund imp with a nack for terrifying torture techniques and horrible ways to mess with peoples minds.

BriarMonkey

First Post
I don't know if you are a fan of Terry Gilliam, or Monty-Python, but I would recommend that you watch the movie "Jabberwocky". It is a medieval setting with humor, adventure, and a key monster. It is definitely a comedy (although dark in some places) and you may garner some ideas from it.

Another movie would be "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". Much more slap-stick in parts, and rather silly in others, especially compared to "Jabberwocky", it is still a good movie for humor and ideas if you want medieval tom-foolery. Watch this one as well.

Remove ads