• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make a Undead player character

Thadir

Explorer
Hello evry one,

Im hoping to finds some help here. Our DM toucht it would be a cool idea to do the Paizo Savage Tide as evil undead.

(Whitch is rather cool I think not sure yet).

But I never played a undead our DM has all the 3.5 books (exept some Ferune books). And I was hoping to find some help building my character.

I was thinking to play a Paladin of Tirrany (Unearthed Arcana alternate Paladin) that will go for Blackguard.

Now I looked around but I have no clu what kind of undead is nice to be. Seeing ill be the figher of the party health is going to be an issu (a d12 is not gonna counter the lack of Constand helth you get from con).

I was hoping that some of you here can give some inspiring idea's

Herzog

Adventurer
Check out Undead with Unholy Toughness and/or Improved Toughness.

UT let's you add your CHA modifier to hp/HD, IT gives +1 hp/HD

Thadir

Explorer
What source book has that? BUt still doesnt fix the main problem what undead type should I play you got the vamire spawn (thats not as cool as the vampire but at least I can be a lvl 1 vampire spawn without to mutch hassle).

Havoc123456

First Post
you can try a necropolitan from libris mortis. no LA, which means more hit dice. you have to give up a level though, but you will eventually catch up with the rest of the party.

Thadir

Explorer
I see a problem there the ritual says loose 1000 XP meaning i have to be a lvl 2 char to become one.. witch is not posible were starting as lvl 1.

Empirate

First Post
It'll be very, very hard to begin as an Undead at level 1, since most or all of the playable ones have level adjustments in excess of +0. Your DM will either have to do away with level adjustments etc., or give you some LA for free. Once he begins to see that, walk in with your Necropolitan and say "Hi".

Greenfield

Adventurer
You might also look at the Half Undead template in Savage Species.

Half-Undead (3.5e Race) - D&D Wiki

Note that templates and classes from dandwiki are not always the same as the ones published in the books. This one in particular is from the homebrew section, which is worse than average.

This one gives you D12s, +4 STR and -4 CON, and no level adjustment. Again, that may not line up 100% with the book, but it will give you something to consider.

I may add more later, when I have my books available.

Belzbet

First Post
It'll be very, very hard to begin as an Undead at level 1, since most or all of the playable ones have level adjustments in excess of +0. Your DM will either have to do away with level adjustments etc., or give you some LA for free. Once he begins to see that, walk in with your Necropolitan and say "Hi".
I agree with Empirate that it is very hard to find good undead races that have no LA or RHD, It is very possible to start Lv 1 as an undead. Ask your DM if he is willing to create Monster classes (Savage Species has details). If he is willing, choose your preferred undead race and she can convert the race to a class (max levels= Racial HD+LA). After you finish the class then you can start taking standard classes (or maybe even a prestige class if you qualify).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Really, either start with a live PC and take unnecessary risks around Wights or Shadows*, or talk to your DM and work out a solution.

Besides the LA issue, most self-willed undead are really much more powerful than low level characters. But your DM could work something out where your PC is a new kind of undead that grows in power over time. Like Annie the Ghost from Being Human. At first, she was barely able to move a teaspoon. Now she can manifest gale-force winds and other TK effects.

And while I know you're talking about a 3Ed PC, it might be informative to take a look at the original DarkSun material, since, in that setting, the bulk of undead were essentially unique.

* Though not this guy- he's entirely safe.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads