• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to make int not a dump stat?

Stalker0

Legend
I hate that unless your a class that has abilities or powers based on int, int is a complete and total dump stat.

I've been racking my brain trying to think of ways to make int more generally useful without overpowering wizards, tactical warlords, and swordmages...and I'm really coming up empty right now.

Anyone have any good houserules they like to use for this?

Zelc

First Post
Pick a number of skills equal to your int mod. You receive a +1 bonus to checks made with those skills. You can't pick the same skill more than once. (max int is +10, so +1 to 10 different skills)

Pick extra languages equal to half your int mod.

Stalker0

Legend
Pick a number of skills equal to your int mod. You receive a +1 bonus to checks made with those skills. You can't pick the same skill more than once. (max int is +10, so +1 to 10 different skills)

Pick extra languages equal to half your int mod.

I've actually considered both, and my players had no reaction to them. A +1 to one skill isn't worth the loss of points elsewhere, and languages are kind of meh unless you are going for that kind of character.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
I hate that unless your a class that has abilities or powers based on int, int is a complete and total dump stat.

I don't have a solution but I just want to point out that the same is true of all mental stat.

You need dumpstat, anyway. I don't think INT is being unfairly targeted. Any bonus you grant to INT will, as you noted, go straight in the pocket of the INT based class.

Stalker0

Legend
You need dumpstat, anyway. I don't think INT is being unfairly targeted. Any bonus you grant to INT will, as you noted, go straight in the pocket of the INT based class.

Wisdom and Charisma help your will defense. Will gives you perception...the most important skill in the game. Charisma gives you social ability, something that tends to help all characters.

Int boosts your AC and Reflex....except so does dex. Dex also helps your initiative, and your ranged attacks, and there are a lot more feats that use it as a prereq.

Basically int is completely sidelined by dex, which is why its a dump stat.

Cadfan

First Post
Its also nearly true of all physical stats other than constitution. Strength and dexterity give you basic melee and ranged attacks respectively, but many classes are designed to function without those.

Editted to add- Dex gives you Initiative. Duh. So its strength that's pointless.

Exen Trik

First Post
Why can't you just do Int to Initiative?

No reason why not, but the point is whatever int does, dex does the same and some better. Int needs some kind of unique, if small, effect to level the playing field.

Or just a few more good Int based feats for classes that might otherwise have no use for it.

arscott

First Post
What about this:

When selecting skills, you may select a number of cross-class skills equal to your int modifier (if any). You are still bound by the total number of skills allowed by your class and race.

Remove ads