• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to put together a BECMI mini-series...

rogueattorney

Adventurer
Actually, both Moldvay and Mentzer give "weight in coins" for individual pieces of equipment.

I used imprecise language.

Moldvay breaks down things like weapons, treasure and armor into individual weights, but assumes other equipment (backpack, torches, food, etc.) as 80 coins. So, you don't count every torch like you do with the RC encumbrance rules. It requires the DM to watch to make sure the players aren't abusing it, but I find it to be a simpler way of dealing with encumbrance.

Korgoth

First Post
BECMI is not my flavor of Old School, but it's a bummer that people keep telling you to play a different game. It's totally fine. :(

Really, the only things I would do would be to allow some latitude in ability score generation so that a player doesn't get saddled with something he absolutely hates, and to allow players to reroll 1s for hit points (1s AND 2s for Fighters and Dwarves). It might sound good in theory to take a hard line on HPs, but it's hard enough to level up in that game, only to have your Fighter roll a 1 for HP. Everyone else might even think it's funny... but it's not.

Beyond that, I have two possible suggestions. The first is to let each player say what his character's background is (apprentice blacksmith, pirate, woodsman, etc.). Then that counts as a "skill bundle" system inasmuch as it tells what the character should know how to do. Everybody in the Middle Ages, even the Fantasy Middle Ages, probably knows how to start a fire, skin a boar, climb a tree, etc.

The second is to look at the Fighter special moves from the Companion set (especially the Smash attack, but also Parry and Disarm). Though these are normally only allowed to "Name" level Fighters (and advanced Demihumans), I'd consider allowing them earlier. Even at mid Expert level (6-8) the monsters are really starting to lay the smack down in terms of damage. The assumption seems to be that you've got at least on Artillery Wizard who is dealing out a ton of damage all the time, casting Haste, etc. Because the Fighter's damage doesn't scale at all until he hits 9th (when he can build a stronghold or undertake a Companion option; that's normally when the Fighter special moves kick in). I personally would offer these moves to Fighters right out of the gate (not to Dwarves simply because Dwarves are already so cool).

Conversely, I'd avoid the Master set Weapon Mastery rules like the plague. Same with the skill system from the RC. Also, when in doubt, roll an Ability Check.

Hope that helps!

havard

Adventurer
Love the idea of running a BECMI campaign.

I would probably also use the ascending AC model.

I didnt know about the Holmes' movement rules before, but I am definately implementing those.

-Havard

Wik

First Post
A few of the ideas I was thinking of implementing, thanks to the suggestions in this thread:

1) Thief skills are additions, not either/or checks. In short, failing a check never incurs a negative penalty. I really like that idea, and I think it actually is RAW. One of those things I've never actually realized in reading the rules, and something that will really help the class out a bit.

2) Floating hit point buffer of 15 hit points - once they're gone, they're gone. A neat idea.

3) As for stat generation, I think I'll allow everyone to roll one set of stats, including the GM. Those stats are put into a pool, and the group can figure out who plays what set (leaving the really crappy roll out). Any player can choose to keep their set of rolls if they like.

4) I'm actually thinking of going old-school for attack rolls. The reasoning is, there is no addition required - players just roll the dice, look at their character sheet, and say the AC they hit. I kind of like that idea - gets rid of any math whatsoever.

5) Skills - I want to do a random roll on a table, with each class providing their own percentile list. Players can roll twice, and choose one. These reflect knowledge, and are based off ability checks. Otherwise, there's a penalty on the roll.

5) PCs start at 3,000 XP. This is enough for everyone but elves to be at least level 2.

6) Starting spells will be determined randomly. All casters get read magic. Each mage rolls twice, each elf rolls once. Those spells are all put in a pool, and the various magic-users take turns picking spells from that pool. I will also make sure sleep is one of the options, because it really is an important low-level spell.

7) Not really rules-related, but the PCs will have access to many hirelings, so that there will be numerous player-run NPCs on hand should a PC kick the bucket. There will also be healing potions available for purchase. No resurrection, though.

8) I have a feeling I'm gonna have about eight players for this - I have a lot of people who are interested in going back to the classics. :)

Wik

First Post
I also wanted to say thanks for the feedback everyone - I really appreciate all the thoughtful recommendations. Any ideas on how to put together a good dungeon, and what makes a good BECMI dungeon?

I'm thinking ample use of empty rooms, locked doors, hidden treasure, treasure freely available in the open, non-linear maps, and numerous opportunities for player choice and informed decision making (ie, do we go into the deathly cold hallway, or that super magma hallway?)

the Jester

Legend
I also wanted to say thanks for the feedback everyone - I really appreciate all the thoughtful recommendations. Any ideas on how to put together a good dungeon, and what makes a good BECMI dungeon?

I'm thinking ample use of empty rooms, locked doors, hidden treasure, treasure freely available in the open, non-linear maps, and numerous opportunities for player choice and informed decision making (ie, do we go into the deathly cold hallway, or that super magma hallway?)

You nailed a lot of the essential features here.

One element of the philosophy that I think is important is exploration. It's an almost-lost part of the game in a lot of corners these days- I can't tell you what the last "explore a newfound land" type adventure that I have seen was.

Also, lots of secret doors, puzzles and tricks that require player expertise, magic fountains, pools, etc that have effects that are whimsical and funny, etc.

GreyLord

Legend

I think the most important thing (though I feel this applies to any RPG, I found it more with the old style rather then newer RPGs) is an animated and excited DM that is descriptive and invigorated. Being monotone or rather undramatic (in the acting sense) DM kills a lot of the feel of the dungeon...one that get's into it, as you could put it, adds SOOOO much to the game.

Wik

First Post
Dark Dungeons is the true BECMI retro-clone. Get that and you need not worry about the Rules Cyclopedia ever again.

Okay, see, here's what I don't get. I *have* the books. I have holmes, I have mentzer, I have that whole set... with multiple copies. I'm running a short mini-campaign, so PCs aren't going higher than around 5th or 6th level, max.

I have a couple of good monster books for it, a few premade dungeons that I will be pilfering as I see fit... so why do I need Dark Dungeons, or any other retro-clone?

Why get a retro-clone if you already have the real thing?

Remove ads