• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to represent clerics of the patron of magic?

Greybar

No Trouble at All
In your world, are the "priests" of the God(ess) of magic Clerics or Wizards? I note that officially the clerics of Mystara "often multiclass as wizard", but we all know that as soon as spellcaster starts multiclassing they lose a lot of power.

I've considered adding PrC or somesuch to let such a character use their combined Wizard and Cleric levels to determine caster level, which would help.

Another thought is that being a ranking priestess of my world's Goddess of Magic requires acheivement of a PrC that is intended for 5th level Wizards. That Prc would then grant Cleric-like powers to broaden the wizards out into the more holy line of power.

thoughts? thanks,
John

Crothian

First Post
In my world there are some Wizards who worship the god of magic, but the cleriucs are the real devotees to the religion. I do have a prestige class that sort of combines the Wizard and the cleric together.

If you have MotW you might try basing your class off of the Geomancer. I think it is close to what you are going for without the nature twists.

Valmur_Dwur

First Post
Well I use Greyhawk and they're clerics. I just look at the fact that magic is a part of their belief just like clerics of heironeous believe that valour and honor are truths and clerics of Hextor believe that those who are meant to rule should. Clerics of magic dieties see the need for wizards and sorcerors but that they(the clerics) are the only ones who "know" the true measure of magic and the "proper" use of said magic:D

Victim

First Post
Use the anyspell and greater anyspell domain tricks from the Spell domain (FR). These spells will give a cleric some arcane tricks.

Also, priest != cleric. But there will be both normal clerics and wizardly priests.

Oni

First Post
I just recently made a character for the Forgotten Realms that is a Halruaan Wizard who is a member of the clergy of Azuth. In FR members of the clergy are not often clerics, and in fact most of the members of the clergy are not of the cleric class, many being aristocrat, commoners, and experts. Well here is a quote from the FRCS

"Most of a Temple's clergy are not clerics. They're experts, aristocrats, even commoner who serve as advisors and counselors to the faithful and officiate at routine observances. A cleric usually leads any particular temple, shrine, or order, judiciously using her spells to aid sick or injured followers and assist the local authorities in maintaining law and order in the community as it suits the deity in question."

The particular character I made doesn't wield the divine might of his god, but has instead dedicated all of himself emulating Azuth, and trying to live as an example of the things his god stands for.

Greybar

No Trouble at All
Thanks for the replies, folks.

The cleric != priest is very much the principle I'm looking at keeping. One idea I'm thinking of is that the temple is split into two parallel lines. This Goddess is the patron of magic, knowledge, and to some degree secrets.

The Priestess line are politically the leaders of the church, and are cleric-class predominantly. As recommended, they will have access to the Magic and Spell domains, and many may take a level or so to "the other side". Due to the nature of the society, the higher ranking priestesses tend to also have levels as Noble.

The members of the holy guild, and the librarians, are predominantly wizard-class. Those are higher in rank tend to take Knowledge (religion) a good bit. They tend to be politically secondary to the Priestesses, but often more focused and personally powerful. Loremasters are also commonly found as you might expect from people who call themselves Librarians.

I still think I'll dabble with a PrC that shows those who follow the hybrid idea of combining clerical and wizardly might. The trick will be playtesting the capabilities. The first thing that comes to mind is letting them use their a higher caster level, which will make those scalable spells more in match with others of the same character leel. They'll have breadth but not depth, as is common with all multiclass characters really. Of course because of this, the hybrid folks are likely looked down upon by the two pure mainlines...

thanks again everyone,
John

Painfully

First Post
Why not allow one of their domains to be a specialty from the wizard school? Of course some schools are more powerful than others, so it might stand that you'll have to make a limited spell list for each school (let them pick one spell of a particular school at each spell level).

I haven't tested the idea at all, but there it is to help stir your thoughts a bit more.

drowdude

First Post
When I was working up a cleric of Mystra recently I realized that the spell domain (from the FRCS) opens the door for clerics to use wizard spells of all types via Anyspell, Greater Anyspell, and Limited Wish.

And then you can use Miracle for any other arcane spell needs that might pop up (up to 7th level only of course.... but hey, the DC is better :p ).

If you become a Dweomer-Keeper you can even drop Limited Wish into your Spell Mantle and cast it spontaneously. 300 xp a pop isnt so bad to get access to a wizards firepower... of defensive spells like stoneskin. Especially at higher levels.

Remove ads