• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to ride a medium sized companion

AllNamesRTaken

First Post
As we all know the handbook states that a mount cant be of smaller than Large and a rangers companion cant be anything but medium. So a goblin cant ride a wolf if its not on steoroids.

This is messed up! :)

So what to do. My thought is as you do control the wolfs action and have this uber bond with it. Just jump up and let it carry you. Its not riding.. its carrying. So you cant put a mount item on it or use mounted combat feat to share skills but still it will carry you anywhere you want at good pace.

So ride away little ppl. :)

Or did I miss something?

Lakoda

First Post
There is a ritual to increase the size - it last until the creature dies I think (or something like that). I'm sorry but I forget which book it's in but I am certain someone will post it shortly.

Baumi

Adventurer
I don't think that riding a wolf would be unbalancing, after all their is even a paragon path for beastmaster ranger who uses his beast as mount (griffenrider or something like that) in the Ebberon Players Guide.

The 4th Level Ritual that Lakoda mentioned is called "Beast Growth" and lasts for 8 hours or until the beast dies, so that might help too.

DracoSuave

First Post
Not all wolfs are made to be ridden. Goblins tend to ride much larger, scarier wolves than your run-of-the-mill wolves.

And on top of that, the goblin on that larger, scarier wolf, you must understand, must be a total badass to be able to ride not just -any- wolf, but that larger, scarier wolf. Notice, that that larger, scarier wolf is probably thinking 'I WANT TO EAT THIS GOBLIN BUT I CANNOT' and that tells you how badass that goblin is.

Okay, that's fluff. The reality is that a) goblins don't really follow PC rules for this sort of thing anyways, so that's not much of a problem except for Goblin PCs... and B) if they are a PC, what's awesomer? Riding a wolf or riding a WOLF?

The rule works fine as is.

AllNamesRTaken

First Post
I agree but a lvl 5 badass ranger goblin with 18 str is probably badass enough to ride a wolf and a wolf with 54hp is definately scary enough to be his pet.

My point in the first post was that it doesnt really take bending of the rules to ride it as long as you dont wnat riding feats or anything like that. I mean another player could pick a gnome or a goblin up and run off. So can a wolf. Except maybe you make it easier if you put some kind of saddle or so on him.

Still I think there should be an errata, cus wearing a barbed metal barding would be made of 110% awsome, and looks DO matter ;).

lukelightning

First Post
In the Eberron campaign guide there are medium mounts (those halfling dino mounts); they have a special feature that specifically says they can be ridden as mounts by small creatures.

Unfortunately, you can't just take a mount and call it your companion.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
As a DM, I have my goblin NPCs riding wolves - dire wolves are just too high level to throw against a low level party without making the whole fight about the wolf (and thus boring).

So, personally I would let small humanoids ride certain medium sized creatures - that said, medium sized mounts means having it come into the dungeon with you. So, if your players are liable to do that, that is something as a DM you need to consider before allowing the small PC to take a medium mount.

Remove ads