• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to ruin a campaign? ;)

shadow

First Post
Has your DM ever insisted on playing a campaign that you and the players were completely uniterested in? Did he want to play a dark and moody campaign when you were just wanting hack 'n slash action? Well I'm looking for info on how to completely break such campaigns. A chance for all the players to rebel and run roughshod over the DM's meticulously crafted plots! This is not whining and complaining; it is a much more subtle way of rebelling. For example creating munchkin characters in a campaign where combat is supposed to be deadly for characters, or completely ignoring opportunities to role-play inner-turmoil in a dark and dramatic (or melodramatic campaigns)! ;)

diaglo

Adventurer
give away the plot hook items to charity.

rename your characters

play with the stereotypes the DM is projecting on you.

ignore the rules and make the DM tell them over and over again to you

edit: drink heavily

Last edited:

Wee Jas

First Post
Chimera said:
Fastest and easiest way?

Stop showing up.

The DMs pet NPC knows all and does all.
The DM starts wanting to role-play sexual encounters in depth
DMs creates funky new rules - Once we walked into a conversation at a game store where a low level PC killed a dragon by "aiming at its weak spot". I think someone watched the animated hobbit one to many times! Poor Smog.

welby

First Post
Treat his dark and moody campaign like a hack & slash. Accept inevitable death, and show his NPCs a thing or two about how not to roleplay.

Crothian

First Post
Make it up as you go along.

At the beginning of the session announce to the party that you need to go to some city (make up the name) to visit a coisin (whom you also make up on the spot) to help him get the family name back by restoring the (make it up as well).

Just keep it up, drive the plot, make things up and see if you can get the rest of the party to go along with you.

Whisper72

Explorer
Simply go completely against the grain:

- kill the innocent villagers
- aid the bad guys
- offer the maiden to the dragon
- try your new wand of fireballs on the local inn (oh, it had a straw roof???)
- summon monsters in the middle of the marketplace during rushhour and tell them to 'attack everyone but us'
- assassinate the local lord and try to take over

starkad

First Post
Play a sexually charged character that has no preference for his partners. Hit on every man, woman, sheep, horse, or dog that comes along.

It's good for hilarious side effect.

You could also play 'sling blade'. I like sum biscuits! And them french fried taters!

Mr. Kaze

First Post
How to rebel against a campaign without getting kicked out...

Be mentally absent all of the time, no matter how painfully the DM is harping on plot points. Bring up tangental discussions -- not rules issues, just "Did you hear that they're making a Matrix vs Star Wars film?" sorts of things. Show up for every other session. Late. And, of course, build characters that you wouldn't dream of trying to keep alive at level 1 or 2 (but it's okay because they're level 10 now). And never ever ever make a snap decision about what you're doing with your 6 seconds in combat -- if possible, be answering a cell phone or getting a snack.

Of course, if you did all that at my table, I'd kick your sorry butt out because my campaign is too good to put up with some yutz that's trying to drag it and the other players down through wanton apathy.

::Kaze (tries to change pace often enough to keep his players interested in the game and hopes that if they're really genuinely not enjoying where the campaign is at that they'd just bloody well tell him so he can truncate the section, thus moving the game along to somewhere else that might be more interesting. Geez, what is it with people who can't confront other people with their concerns about how a game -- a game, folks! -- is going?)

Laurel

First Post
shadow said:
Has your DM ever insisted on playing a campaign that you and the players were completely uniterested in? Did he want to play a dark and moody campaign when you were just wanting hack 'n slash action? Well I'm looking for info on how to completely break such campaigns. A chance for all the players to rebel and run roughshod over the DM's meticulously crafted plots! This is not whining and complaining; it is a much more subtle way of rebelling. For example creating munchkin characters in a campaign where combat is supposed to be deadly for characters, or completely ignoring opportunities to role-play inner-turmoil in a dark and dramatic (or melodramatic campaigns)! ;)
Number one: Talk to the DM
Number two: Talk to the other Players and then everyone talks to DM
Number three: Tell DM you are not happy and will play the game your own
Number four: Kick the DM out of the game, and elect, choose a new DM with game you all like
If none of the other choices work go with starkad's option it is disturbing enough to probably work. And it would make for a good story later.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads