• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E How to Scribe Scrolls

Gfreak2x9

Explorer
I have no idea if I am doing this right, this is the first Forum I've posted in but here I go!

I recently started playing a Wizard in the Pathfinder RPG system, and I've come to realize that I don't understand the process of Scribing Scrolls. If someone with more gaming experience could please step in and walk me through a brief step by step on how to scribe a scroll I would really appreciate it! I've read the "Scribe Scroll" feat description and the "Magic Item Creation: Scroll" section but I am still confused, in the item creation section it gives an equation (12.5 gp x spell level x caster level) but it sin't clear if this is a specific example of one particular scroll, or if this is the standard equation for calculating the cost of creating all scrolls. If this is the standard equation it seems a bit flawed because that would mean that the higher level you are the more it costs to make even a 0 level spell scroll! I'm pretty new a RPG gaming so this is allot to take in, I just want a simplified version rather than a scavenger hunt through the Core Rule Book! Can anybody give me a hand? B-)

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
"Caster level" means the item's caster level, which can be any number equal to or lesser than the creator's caster level.

For example, say you're a 5th-level wizard scribing a scroll of magic missile. If you want it to be two missiles, you'd have to create the scroll with caster level 3 (base price 75 gp; you pay 37.5). If you only want it to evoke one missile, you can create it with caster level 1 (base price 25 gp; you'd pay 12.5).

Last edited:

Starfox

Hero
* Know (or collaborate with someone knowing) the Scribe Scroll feat
* Pick a spell you want to trun into a scroll. You must be able to cast this spell.
* Pick a caster level to scribe it at. This must be equal or less than your caster level, and equal or greater than the minimum caster level your class could cast this spell at.
* Calculate base price. This is 25 gp * level of spell (for you) * Caster level (as selected above)
* The cost to create is half the base price
* Scribing a scroll takes 2 hours if its base price is 250 gp or less, otherwise scribing a scroll takes 1 day for each 1,000 gp(or fraction of 1,000 gp) in its base price.
* If you are following the above rules, success is automatic.

coriolis

Explorer
Also, while I doubt anyone would bother to create a scroll for cantrips/orisons, but in cases like these, they are usually treated as 1/2-level spells, which means base price would be:

12.5 gp * caster level

Remove ads