• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

how to search better...

XCorvis

First Post
evilbob said:
This hasn't been too much of a problem, but we're really starting to get to the point where having a maximum search of 20 is really restricting, and we're probably missing out on some good hidden stuff (secret doors, stashes of loot, etc.). Not to mention that traps are really, really starting to get tricky. Typically our trap disarmament method is "send the meat shield first," but as traps get worse, so do our results.
I'm probably wrong, but the way you phrase it sounds like your DM might be limiting ALL search DCs to 20 for non-trap finders. Remember the DC 20 limit is only traps, not secret doors and other hidden stuff.

There are a bunch of good suggestions here, but you could also ask your DM to remove the trapfinding limitation and allow anyone to search for traps. It probably wouldn't help your group that much, but it might let you get a few. Then you could get someone to multiclass into anything with search, not just rogue.

Alternative tactics.

This is D&D. There are some items which are obviously trapped (e.g. BBEG's treasure chest). Use long range methods of opening it, such as the open/close spell, or a strategically placed rope.

For dodgy corridors, roll a large log down it, hopefully triggering any traps. If the DM starts imposing "living creature" triggers, uproot a sapling and ask how long it remains alive for.

For suspicious doors, don't open them. Use warp wood, stone shape or similar to bypass them.

evilbob

Explorer
XCorvis said:
I'm probably wrong, but the way you phrase it sounds like your DM might be limiting ALL search DCs to 20 for non-trap finders. Remember the DC 20 limit is only traps, not secret doors and other hidden stuff.
The problem isn't that the DM is limiting anything; it's that our maximum "take-20" search is 20. So anything that is well-hidden is beyond our current ability.

amethal said:
Use long range methods of opening it, such as the open/close spell...
Amazingly enough, our sorcerer didn't take that spell. :) Your point about the rope is valid, though.

amethal said:
For suspicious doors, don't open them. Use warp wood, stone shape or similar to bypass them.
The problem here is that eating a 3rd+ level spell is far more draining on our party resources than having someone who could just find a trap infinity times per day. Draining to the point of being a non-tactic. Also see: find traps.

RedFox said:
Don't forget that spellcasters can use detect traps, locate object, knock, and the like to great effect. If it's cutting back on your firepower, invest in scrolls and wands.
Once again: we have a sorc, not a wizard. Buying scrolls and wands is a good idea, however.

RedFox said:
Don't forget that you can hire a rogue. It won't have 100% loyalty like cohorts and the like do, but you can get it right now rather than waiting for a level-up.
I think this may be the best idea so far! This and the idea of buying goggles or several scrolls are the two most-doable options so far...

evilbob said:
The problem isn't that the DM is limiting anything; it's that our maximum "take-20" search is 20. So anything that is well-hidden is beyond our current ability.

as in "no one has ranks in search" not...

Am I correct that this is the problem?

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
evilbob said:
Or is the final answer: that's just not something your group will ever do well, so suck it up? Any advice appreciated.

The answer ultimately is "suck it up" in some form because the party's composition is such that some trade off MUST be made to be competent at searching or you have to continue to be bad at searching. There have been plenty of suggestions given but the answer to several of them has been that it would be pretty costly a sacrifice (to BAB, to spell-casting, to something else) to do it.
Well, that's the price you pay for your party composition. I have no problems with parties not covering all of the traditional bases in a 4-character party... as long as they suffer the consequences of doing so, either by being bad at something and weathering undue hardship for it or by adapting and making trade-offs to cover their weaknesses.

nittanytbone

First Post
You can get around the issue with wands, spells, and summoned monkeys, but those are all resource intense.

For stop-gap measures, I would suggest having the sorcerer take Summon Monster I for aforementioned reasons. If it weren't for the paladin, you could use Skeletons or Zombies to open doors.

For a long term solution, you need the Trapfinding ability in the party and someone with one level in a class for which Search is an in-class skill. There are several solutions to this:

If rebuilds are allowed, have the monk front-load one level of rogue at level 1 then buy Search and Disable Device cross class the rest of his career. Open locks is redundant (use an adamantite weapon + silence spell if need be). If they aren't, the rogue or paladin should do the multiclass. Yeah, they can't take more Pally/Monk levels, but they should be looking at PrCs at this point anyways. They have less to lose by multiclassing than the casters do, who will lose spell progression.

Another rebuild could be Rogue 1/Cloistered Cleric (from UA) X. You lose a caster level, but have lots of SP.

You could polymorph someone into a Dwarf (or reincarnate them thus!). Stonecutting is like Trapfinding in many environments.

You can also look for PrCs that offer the Trapfinding ability, but it is pretty rare.

Veril

Explorer
evilbob said:
How best can these classes overcome the general lack of a rogue / search skill?

Buy a barrel and fill it full of sand.
Buy a wheelebarrow for each person. use the wheelbarrow to transport the barrell.
Roll it down dungeon corridors and let it set off the traps.

buy mules or ponies and chase then down into dungeon corridors

Feldspar

Explorer
nittanytbone said:
For stop-gap measures, I would suggest having the sorcerer take Summon Monster I for aforementioned reasons.
How about using Charm Person instead - longer duration. Give that Goblin or Orc a chance at serving penance instead of the usual summary execution :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads