• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to stop a druid from wildshaping?

Slife

First Post
Satori said:
Actually, I think you'll have a pretty good response from your druid PC if you bring out a "Blade" style adamantine containment "suit".

i.e. Steve Buschemi's character from "Con Air" being wheeled out in full "Scary Prisoner" attire.

Not only will it keep the character imprisoned, but if you roleplay the guards/NPCs as truly terrified of the druid's potential, then it will also lend a sense of empowerment to your PC...making them not only open to imprisonment, but actually pleased with the portrayal.

Just a thought.
I was thinking more like that restraining thing they put the Juggernaut in in X-men 3.

SPoD

First Post
Hypersmurf said:
The druid is allowed to use a sword with no ill effect. It's only the armor/shield that's prohibited.

-Hyp.

OK, my mistake, I was remembering older editions. I've never played a druid under 3.5. However, that just means that my point applies to shield bashes rather than sword strikes. If touching a shield against their will saps their powers for a day, then someone just needs to hit them in the arm with a shield to drain their powers. The druid should be required to pick up the shield themselves, rather than have it put on their arm forcibly.

Nifft said:
What vow are you talking about? All I see in the SRD is this: There's no reason for the prohibition, nor is there an explanation for what kind of exceptions the rules would permit. Also, the 24 hour auto-reset is mechanically different from what we see in vow-based class restrictions.

You're actually saying you PREFER to interpret it as an "armor allergy" than a spiritual vow? OK, well, more power to you. It doesn't make a shred of sense to me.

Nifft said:
Contrast this with the Paladin, for example: if he violates his vow-based class restrictions, he must atone to get them back. No 24 hour auto-reset for his class abilities.

Yes, because every rule in 3.5 is 100% mechanically consistent on a strict basis without exception. That's why all magic-based class abilities require morning preparation, for example. The designers would NEVER make one type of vow different than another if they felt those vows had different weights to their respective classes, no. That sort of talk is craziness.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
SPoD said:
If touching a shield against their will saps their powers for a day, then someone just needs to hit them in the arm with a shield to drain their powers.

Touching a shield doesn't sap their powers; carrying a shield does.

Bashing him with it won't trigger that.

-Hyp.

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
So Hyp...if you're still there...if you were the druid player and someone forced you into metal armor or strapped a metal shield to your arm, would you be OK if the DM threw the 24-hour prohibition on you?

I'm asking because I'm curious. I think it's a wicked brilliant idea, but I'm interested to see if you and others think it's not legitimate.

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Wisdom Penalty said:
So Hyp...if you're still there...if you were the druid player and someone forced you into metal armor or strapped a metal shield to your arm, would you be OK if the DM threw the 24-hour prohibition on you?

Honestly? It would depend on the DM.

There are some DMs I would resent for, say, taking a wizard's spellbook away, because I know it's an adversarial power-tripping "Ha ha, gotcha!" scenario.

There are other DMs I would take it from cheerfully, because I know it's setting up something awesome...

-Hyp.

MarauderX

Explorer
SPoD said:
It would be trivially easy to wildshape into a chimpanzee or lemur, remove the now-loose irons from his hands and feet, then change back and cast whatever spells he wishes.

And the things that are clamped to him would not wildshape along with his form? Everything else the druid is carrying does. But then again, in my game the druid wouldn't be able to shift in the first place.

Iron manacles clamped to a druid might be a rules discussion and up to the DM.

Rechan

Adventurer
A suit of armor that grants, say, elemental resistance might be a way to go.

You say, put the druid in a locked and sealed room, and underneath said room is a furnace. Start stoking it with fire. The floor could even be metal, so it would burn his feet after about ten, twenty minutes.

So, he either puts on the suit, or he burns.

He's not being "Forced", because he is Choosing.

The trick is actually keeping him from casting "Summon Nature's Ally" for assistance, rather than wildshape.

Warren Okuma

First Post
You guys are over thinking this. Just drain his levels.

Awww, you wild shape at 5th level? Gee, you gotta wait four more levels. Ahahahaha!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads