• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How to stop a Thief

mcbobbo

Explorer
I'm thinking direct confrontation may be metagaming, unless there's an in game reason how you know who gets which missile.

Dausuul

Legend
I'm thinking direct confrontation may be metagaming, unless there's an in game reason how you know who gets which missile.
Just prepare locate object. This is an eminently reasonable in-game response to your stuff constantly disappearing. Next time something goes missing, cast locate object. Upon seeing the result, unload a barrage of kill spells.

Last edited:

GameDoc

Explorer
All this discussion is reminding me why in fantasy settings, people are often intimidated or creeped out by wizards and the like. I'd almost say form an RP standpoint a thief may likely be instructed during training to be wary of pickpocketing a wizard. Steal form the vault when they are far away and you have plenty of space to run, sure. But stick your hand in their pocket, cut their purse, rifle through their pack and you may wind up a pile of ashes or spend the rest of your days as a wart-riddled toad or a zombie thrall.

MarkB

Legend
All this discussion is reminding me why in fantasy settings, people are often intimidated or creeped out by wizards and the like. I'd almost say form an RP standpoint a thief may likely be instructed during training to be wary of pickpocketing a wizard. Steal form the vault when they are far away and you have plenty of space to run, sure. But stick your hand in their pocket, cut their purse, rifle through their pack and you may wind up a pile of ashes or spend the rest of your days as a wart-riddled toad or a zombie thrall.

Or, as Terry Pratchett put it: "Do no meddle in the affairs of wizards. They're not very subtle."

Dausuul

Legend
Locate Object is good, but it's higher level.
It's only level 2. What level is the party? The OP implied the rogue was using mage hand, which strongly suggests an Arcane Trickster, since mage hand is a big thing for the AT. You have to be 3rd level to become an Arcane Trickster. If the party is 3rd level, the wizard can learn and cast locate object.

GameDoc

Explorer
Or, as Terry Pratchett put it: "Do no meddle in the affairs of wizards. They're not very subtle."

Exactly!

image.jpg

mcbobbo

Explorer
It's only level 2. What level is the party? The OP implied the rogue was using mage hand, which strongly suggests an Arcane Trickster, since mage hand is a big thing for the AT. You have to be 3rd level to become an Arcane Trickster. If the party is 3rd level, the wizard can learn and cast locate object.
Assume any level - more higher level slots is good when you're about to pick a fight. :)

Remove ads