• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How to Store Boxed Sets?

Garnfellow

Explorer
In my game collection I've got several nice boxed sets, including good copies of the Empire of the Petal Throne, the Original D&D rules, and the J. Eric Holmes basic set. I've got the contents of the boxes in plastic bags, but I'm at a loss as to what to do with the boxes themselves. How do I store these suckers so they don't get beat to heck?

Breakdaddy

First Post
Garnfellow said:
In my game collection I've got several nice boxed sets, including good copies of the Empire of the Petal Throne, the Original D&D rules, and the J. Eric Holmes basic set. I've got the contents of the boxes in plastic bags, but I'm at a loss as to what to do with the boxes themselves. How do I store these suckers so they don't get beat to heck?
Put the empty boxes together stacked (not tightly) in a large cardboard box. Make sure there are no heavy hardbacks in the large box otherwise the small boxed sets will get crushed. I still have my old Moldvay Red set in near mint condition along with the old Expert set due to this methos of storage.

der_kluge

Adventurer
Do you have a reason to believe that they're going to get "beat to heck"? I mean, if you stick them on their sides, and put them in a box, and put them on the top shelf of your closet, I imagine they'll be in as good a condition as they are in now in 15 years or more.

Alternatively, you could actually open them up, and read them from time to time, and maybe even play a game or two with them. :)

realmprotector

Explorer
I have mine set up vertically in a book shelf. Had them there for years and there all still in near mint condition. Your other option is to put them under glass... :lol:

caudor

Adventurer
I have numerous boxed sets. I stand them on their ends neatly on a bookshelf (actually several shelves). I've never had a problem with wear or damage sitting in that position.

Stacked vertically, in an airless vault 2 miles below the surface of the Earth behind foot-thick steel doors, with numerous forms of computerized identification required to get in. Some people go for voice print, but I prefer a retinal scan.

GlassJaw

Hero
I have about 15-20 boxed sets. I just stack them in a bookshelf, putting the larger, heavier ones on the bottom. No problems to speak of.

diaglo

Adventurer
you should stack them vertically or on their sides. more support that way.

stacking them on their bottom or top gives little support and they will eventually get crushed when you stack more on top.

Napftor

Explorer
diaglo said:
you should stack them vertically or on their sides. more support that way.

stacking them on their bottom or top gives little support and they will eventually get crushed when you stack more on top.

Testify, diaglo! The crushed box syndrome is something all D&D'ers should know about. :)

Akrasia

Procrastinator
Putting bubblewrap in the boxes (above the books, etc.) helps support the box, and also prevents the books from bending if you store the boxes vertically.

Remove ads