• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How useful is the ritual 'Skywrite?'

MacMind

First Post
I was reading "Professor Q's Guide to the Controller" recently, and was quite surprised to see that he rated Elemental Evil's 2nd level spell 'Skywrite' as one of the few gold options only available to a wizard or druid. The spell itself is a ritual which can be used to write a message in clouds across the sky of up to 10 words which has a range of sight. Apart from spamming advertisements across the sky, or labeling town leaders as a bunch of dolts, can anyone else think of any interesting ways or situations in which this spell can be used creatively?

Starosta

Villager
This is what the guide in question says:

'My gosh! Someone has done it. They've created the most interesting and potent spell ever. Never since D&D was a twinkle on the eyelid of Gygax himself has there been a better idea for a spell. Ten whole words. Ten. This is SO overpowered that WOTC needed to make sure it could be erased with a strong wind, and THEY KNEW that the usage was good enough to require a concentration flag. If your enemy ever casts this, better stick him in a sleet storm to make sure he can’t keep it up!! Seriously, I’m at a loss of words. Best. Spell. Ever.'

I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be sarcastic

To be fair, it really depends on the campaign.

If you're playing in a war story, then skywrite is one of the most useful spells - you can write a message in code to your allies far away, giving your side a strategic advantage thanks to the intelligence you've given. For example "The wizard is not among them." would be a sign to proceed with a march of troops with decreased risk of being blasted to oblivion.

mellored

Legend
To be fair, it really depends on the campaign.

If you're playing in a war story, then skywrite is one of the most useful spells - you can write a message in code to your allies far away, giving your side a strategic advantage thanks to the intelligence you've given. For example "The wizard is not among them." would be a sign to proceed with a march of troops with decreased risk of being blasted to oblivion.
Which is similar to plenty of other messaging spells. Except anyone can see it.

Though doing thungs like voldimott's skull comes to mind.

Oofta

Legend
We've used it in our campaign to send messages to friends and enemies alike. It is more of a role-playing tool, and if all you are doing just a straight hack-and-slash campaign it probably doesn't come up very often.

It's been used by the bad guys too such as: "1000 GP for head of Tarren the Swift and allies"

MarkB

Legend
I did consider a variant on the telegraph-like Clacks system from Discworld - space out 3rd-level ritual casters at gaps of a few dozen miles or so, and they can relay a message across long distances. But I'm pretty sure there are better options for long-range communication, even at 2nd level.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads