Pathfinder 1E How valuable is one caster level when it comes to multiclassing spellcasters?

Joshua029

First Post
I've been told by almost everyone not to multiclass primary spellcasters, because the caster level/spell acquisition is more valuable than anything you could get from a one level dip into another class.

Could someone explain this in regards to the Empyreal Sorcerer with a one level dip into Monk for the Dodge Feat and the Wisdom bonus to AC (Pathfinder)?

With a 20pt buy, it's pretty easy to get Wisdom up to 19, which is a +4 modifier. This combination of classes means at L2, the Sorcerer can easily have an AC of 21 (without dump stats) when Shield is cast (before accounting for any gear). His Wisdom-based saves will also be insane.

What is he really losing? Spellcasters start out as weaklings, and end up godlike. Wouldn't this just flatten that curve a little, and make early levels more survivable?

Last edited:

For optimizing purposes, giving up a casting level for anything is stupid. But it really does not take the progression into account. Even taking sorcerer is a no go since you lag one spell level behind anyway (or is that different in pathfinder? ).
In actual play however you need to survive until the point that a spellcaster will be top tier. And it may be just more fun to mix it up in melee and have a high AC that is useful at lower level.
So my advise, take it or leave it, is doing what seems fun at the level you are currently playing and just make a decision what seems fun at that moment.

ccs

41st lv DM
I've been told by almost everyone not to multiclass primary spellcasters, because the caster level/spell acquisition is more valuable than anything you could get from a one level dip into another class.

People who claim this are wrong.
Because what you get is a character that more closely resembles whatever you're imagining. Or might just be more fun in some fashion.

Could someone explain this in regards to the Empyreal Sorcerer with a one level dip into Monk for the Dodge Feat and the Wisdom bonus to AC (Pathfinder)?

With a 20pt buy, it's pretty easy to get Wisdom up to 19, which is a +4 modifier. This combination of classes means at L2, the Sorcerer can easily have an AC of 21 (without dump stats) when Shield is cast (before accounting for any gear). His Wisdom-based saves will also be insane.

What is he really losing? Spellcasters start out as weaklings, and end up godlike. Wouldn't this just flatten that curve a little, and make early levels more survivable?

I'm not sure what an Empyreal Sorcerer has going on, but if the mix you've presented fits what you want/need? Do it.

Personally I only ever MC based upon the story/RP involved. I never pick something based just upon the #s it'll yield. But that's just me

Remove ads