• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How valuable is the shield?

CTurbo

Explorer
I was just curious what everybody thinks about the shield in 5e. I like it a lot and I think it's a powerful item to have. Of course it's not great enough that every character should have one or anything, but I think it's a great tool for a lot of classes.

+2 to AC is huge for anybody in 5e.

I also think the Moderately Armored feat is a great choice if you're only proficient in Light Armor(Rogue, Lore Bard, and Warlock) and have an odd Dex even if you don't use Medium armor.

Thoughts?

Iry

Hero
Increasingly useful the higher your AC.

Which is to say, if you are already hovering around 12 AC, then a shield is only somewhat beneficial (unless you've got nothing better to do with that hand). While someone with an 18 AC gets a really impressive benefit. At least, until the enemy can only hit you on a 20 even without the shield, but that's pretty rare.

Shiroiken

Legend
I feel that the shield is under utilized in 5E, because many players find it "boring." It only helps on defense, and many players prefer to be proactive (deal moar damage!). IMO, a heavily armored character with a shield and the Defense fighting style, having an impressive 21 AC potential before magic, is a force to be reckoned with, even if he deals about 4-5 damage less per hit.

cmad1977

Hero
For the group I run the shield seems pretty damn useful.
'The monster roars and attacks you with its bite and windmilling claws. 17, 19, 17. So that's three hit....'
'Excuse me mr. DM, but I have a 20 AC.'
'Oh...
So the claws scrape loudly on your shield and the bite narrowly misses your head.'

Moments like that get forgotten but that one series spared the PC/Party a lot of damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ranger picked up a shield for one particularly nasty battle, taking AC from 20 to 22. The main foe were were up against went from hitting on 18-20 to hitting on a 20. So, the shield effectively meant I was being hit 2/3 of the time less.

Furby076

First Post
The shield is helpful at any range. +2 ac is valuable for someone with 12 ac, or 18 ac. For me it's more about the concept of the character. I have a paladin, who needs to be meatshield for the group. So a shield for him is very useful

Ever try making your way through a gauntlet or a cadence of arrows on a battlefield? Unless your a monk you can't block arrows without a shield so don't leave home without one.

mellored

Legend
It's obviously good for anyone who only uses 1 hand. Like any caster. Certainly worth a feat if your in the front lines. Less so if you can manage to stay behind someone else.

It's pretty balanced against a 2-handed weapons.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I find damage mitigation to be sorely undervalued in online discussion. The reason is that it is easy to calculate a character's potential damage output, but without specific enemies being known, it's much harder to calculate how much potential damage a character absorbs.

There doesn't appear to be a shortage of ways to deal damage, but increases to defense are harder to come by. So I think a shield is a strong option for a character who does not need their other hand free.

hastur_nz

First Post
They are very handy when you need to slide down a snowy mountain, fling something at a monster frisbee-style, you forgot your plate for meal-times, the list goes on...

Remove ads