• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How will D&D the MMORPG handle the rules?

RangerWickett said:
The idea I had, which I think might work for an MMO D&D game, was to have basically agents, like in The Matrix, people who run the world -- one part moderator, one part game master. They have the ability to see everything in a given area with a sort of God's eye view, and they can possess any NPC, be it a monster, shopkeeper, or villain, and have the ability to control them in combat and for roleplaying.
You've just described a common practice in MUDs, back in the day. I used to await with great anticipation the moderator-controlled quests on my favorite MUD. Of course, a lot of the fun to be had depended upon the people involved in moderating the quest. And I think the same thing would happen in MMORPGs these days. Just like in real life: a good DM can make things fun for everyone; a bad DM can make things suck.

It would be neat if, instead of a MMORPG, the D&D license would be used to create a super-slick computer aid for table-top roleplaying. Something like the ability of Neverwinter Nights to have one DM and several players in a game, but with more D&D goodness and more features. I imagine something like a LAN party for your D&D group -- you're all in one physical location, but you each have a computer to handle the bookkeeping and combats. That would be sweet.

kdanger

First Post
Well I received my Eberron book right after I heard they were using it as the standard campaign setting for DDO. I think this campaign setting was written with this in mind. I noticed last night that the dragonmarked house that has banks (sorry can't remember the dwarven house's name) has a magical system that allows you to put things in a deposit box at one location and remove them from another location anywhere there is another bank. Now if that doesn't sound like EQ, I don't know what does.

I have to say that Turbine is probably a very good company to do this. Hell, I am playing Asheron's Call again after 2 years. They seem more focused on their customers than say Sony. Now with Middle Earth and DnD Online coming out who knows what will happen.

I myself am pretty excited about the possibility of playing in Eberron. The campaign is very different and it will be fun to explore. I hope that they somehow get people to try and roleplay more than most games, but powergamers will probably end up ruling. I had figured that Forgotten Realms was out of the question, but I was thinking that Greyhawk would have been a good choice for an online world. I guess they wanted something new and different, not just the same ol' high fantasy.

I played quite a lot of Ultima Online, and they introduced characters that were not mods, but could had quite a lot of power, and could send people on quests. I think it didn't go too good...

It would be immensily (sp?) cool if you could have actual DM's running adventures, but we're a long way from that. Actually, it's possible with NWN, but creating an adventure takes a long time...

AR

Remove ads