• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E How will the Forgotten Realms be handled?

So the "current" timeline is going to stay in the 1400's and not revert back to the 1300's?

Thats a bummer, I really want the awesome Khelben alive again, and Halaster as well, roaming the halls of his sinister dungeon and playing with his magical cheesboard. For Piergeiron to be the Open Lord of Waterdeep, for Randal Morn as the lord of Daggerdale, and a slew of etceteras.
I'm quite sure Scrivener has hit the nail on the head regarding keeping the validity of the novels. Remember that for as unpopular as the 4E Realms were to Realmsfans, there were still a lot of people who had campaigns set there and who enjoyed it. WotC is trying to please as many people as possible with the 5E Realms by going with a non-reboot-reboot (which I'm sure will use a liberal dose of Ao ex machina) the outcome of which is supposed to be satisfying to both 4E Realms campaigns as well as old FR fans.

WotC has not yet revealed any details about its product plans for 2015, but it's highly likely we'll see a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting next year. Given the "edition-to-end-all-editions" strategy of 5E, it's not a stretch to imagine that the 5E Realms will include notes about how to stage a FR campaign set during any one of the periods (read: editions) during the Era of Upheavals.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
It's also clear that WotC really wants the fans to be happy this time. Ignoring my personal biases, the simple fact is that R A Salvatore is, without question, the most popular FR author. Involving him and ensuring that he publicly praises the new Realms is a masterstroke. And, of course, having Ed on side clearly makes a lot of sense.

I also appreciate the fact that WotC seems to have realised that the maps that came with the 4E version of FR were absolute garbage (and that's me being kind). By contrast, it looks like Mike Schley is going to be doing the maps and they're going to look good, have actual details, and those details are going to be accurate, unlike the garbage excreted out to show the 4E Realms.

(And I type my criticisms as a fan of the 4E Realms and an active DM in the 4E Realms. I've been a fan of FR since Ed's original Dragon articles and have DMed in every edition but the 4E version really seems to work for me and for my players. I still hate the maps though.)

Evenglare

Adventurer
I'm really curious on why you hate the maps so much. I just took a look and compared 4e's to 3e's and maybe im just not a super diehard fan as some of you but I just don't understand the raw hatred. Attached is a comparison, can you tell me what is so abhorrent about 4e's to enlighten me?

Attachments

• realms comparison.png
    realms comparison.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 233

I'm really curious on why you hate the maps so much. I just took a look and compared 4e's to 3e's and maybe im just not a super diehard fan as some of you but I just don't understand the raw hatred. Attached is a comparison, can you tell me what is so abhorrent about 4e's to enlighten me?
I'm using Chrome; why can't I click these?

Abstruse

Legend
WotC has not yet revealed any details about its product plans for 2015, but it's highly likely we'll see a Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting next year. Given the "edition-to-end-all-editions" strategy of 5E, it's not a stretch to imagine that the 5E Realms will include notes about how to stage a FR campaign set during any one of the periods (read: editions) during the Era of Upheavals.
They haven't made any statements about what they're doing for campaign settings, but I know they're talking to Keith Baker to work on Eberron again, and Margaret Weis has made public that she's willing to come back to work on Dragonlance. What WotC is doing exactly, though...no one really knows yet. Keith hasn't told me anything, even off the record.

However, back in 2013, this was definitely one of the points they mentioned. Presenting the Realms in one large book that covers all its eras with rules to play in any of them. I seem to recall them hinting even at eras before the original soucebooks and adventures.

My gut tells me this is going to be a big production 300+ page book that does a general overview of events and rules needed, but that specifics will come out in PDF format through DNDClassics. They've built that up very well, but haven't really done anything with it other than dumping their back catalog out there with no rhyme or reason as to when they're releasing what. If that interfaces with Codename: Morningstar, it's going to be the perfect vessel. I buy the rulebook for all the rules and the general overview of politics and history, but I'm wanting to run a Waterdeep game. The hell do I care about Thay or any of that crap? I'll just spend $4.99 for the PDF with a detailed map and listing of Waterdeep. Again, this is all speculation and I don't even think WotC knows yet what they're going to do for sure.

Remathilis

Legend
But only mostly, if I understand correctly. It's late in the 1400s DR now, Abeir and Toril switch their continents back to pre-4E configuration (but some creatures might remain), and a bunch of the dead gods are back (Bhaal, who died between 1E and 2E, for example). I'm not a Realmslore expert by any stretch, but this is what I've gathered.

Is there a list of changes so far? I can't seem to find one.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
I think I like the 3e map a little better, as the yellow color for plains/flatland makes for a better contrast with the other elements; the overabundance of green in 4e makes the overall image a little muddy. But I don't see a wild divergence, not enough to make me hate one and love the other.

the Jester

Legend
What do you guys have against salvatore?

Personally, I hate pretty much all D&D novels, RAS' included. I hate his characters, I hate the way he names things, I hate the way his work helped Drow from a race that worshiped many different demonic patrons in constant conflict (see: G3, D3) into emo spider-worshipers, I hate the way he writes dialogue and I hate the way D&D novels in general, and especially his D&D novels, tend to affect the larger campaign setting and game as a whole.

That said, in every interview I've seen with him, he comes across as a really cool guy who loves the game. So I don't hate him; I'd love to play some D&D with him sometime.

I thought it actually made more sense to reset to the OGB which almost everyone, fans and haters alike, seems to love but the simple fact is that R A Salvatore, in particular, is too important to the FR brand to reset in a way that "invalidates" the novels, particularly his.

And that is truly the reason the timeline is being advanced.

Speaking as a Realms-hater, I LOVE the original FR Grey Box.

Remove ads