• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How will you incorporate Essentials?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
Assuming you plan to use Essentials and the associated "errata" that comes along with it (new stat boost options for races, miss effects on wizard encounter powers, etc), how do you plan to incorporate them into your existing game?

After a short period of hazing, involving copious amounts of alcohol, embarrassing costumes, and a possibly-uncomfortable exploring of sexuality, it shall be welcomed as a brother.

scylis

First Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but is there some sort of secret initiation method that is required for allowing new rules and errata? Some sort of secret handshake I need to master before being able to use new material?

I'm not going to have to go to some secret location, be paddled profusely, then required to drag the giant boulder attached to my neck by chain back to my house naked, am I?

Because I'm not doing that again.

nnms

First Post
What are those changes about magic items?

Basically it involves three categories. Common, Uncommon and Rare. Magic Item shops and rituals can only make Common items. Uncommon and Rare must be awarded by the DM.

Daily item limits are going away. You can now use each of your item's daily powers once per day. No more tracking mile stones and whatnot.

Items with daily powers will be uncommon and rare. So if a player wants to spam daily item powers by having multiple items with a daily, it'll be because the DM gave them those. The won't be able to just buy or create a bunch of lower level items with daily powers and use them again and again.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I've always been pretty lenient regarding players changing their characters as a result of new books/erratta - whenever something comes out that changes their character (martial character gets new options from MP2, erratta nerfs one of cleric's powers) I've given a free retrain. Then again, I know with my group that they won't abuse it and have so far only made changes that fit their character concepts.

In the campaign I play in (same players, just a swap of DMs), the DM let me change from Warlock to Sorceror when PH2 came out - the character had been a 3.5 Sorceress so the swap actually took her closer to her character concept (plus, I was getting more an more annoyed with the Warlock as a class). In the same campaign, the rogue may be changing to a monk (rogue doesn't play like he wanted it to) and the str cleric may change to rune priest (cleric of creation AND destruction - rune priest mechanic really catches that). I see allowind similar swaps in my own campaign if the essential classes really catch what the players wanted... though I doubt it will happen.

I also intend to allow races that gain an optional stat boost (so, if Dwarves go from Wis & Con to Wis & Con/Str) to take the new option.

Going into the campaign, we agreed to use full erratta and avoid house rules(we do have a few, like free expertise feets and 1/tier NAD boosts), so any general rule changes from essentials will be incorporated.

josha

First Post
I plan that at least half of my 4E games from now on will be Essentials-only.
I'm going to treat them like a separate edition, It'l be all Essentials or no Essentials.

beepeearr

First Post
Right now, I'm leaning towards using essential classes counting as being from new power sources and easing up on feat class restrictions a bit to allow crossover feats that should work for both versions. For instance the knight and slayer would be the defender and striker of one of the new power sources. But I plan on waiting until the rest of the classes are released or at least previewed. In a way this works out well for me since I had a few power sources i wanted in my home brew, but hadn't progressed past simple re-skinning of current classes yet.

Remove ads