• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

How would paladin PrCs work with the paladin as a PrC?

Brennin Magalus

First Post
At first I was dead set against the paladin as a prestige class, but now I am willing to at least entertain the idea. However, I am wondering how my favorite paladin prestige classes, like the Gold Knight would work, since they presuppose a core paladin class. Has anyone else given this some thought?

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Brennin,

It would work alright primarily for certain aspects of the paladin's ability. Thus the Lay on Hands effect from the Paladin Pr, would still work well for Gold Knight. It's much like what they've done for the Knights of Solomia(sp) in Dragonlance and the levels they have for each Knightly Order.

Last edited:

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Nightfall said:
Brennin,

It would work alright primarily for certain aspects of the paladin's ability. Thus the Lay on Hands effect from the Paladin Pr, would still work well for Gold Knight. It's much like what they've done for the Knights of Solomia(sp) in Dragonlance and the levels they have for each Knightly Order.

Perhaps. I suppose I should give it some more thought. A more basic problem, though, is the tendency of paladin-like PrCs to get fewer spells and lousier turning. A Knight of the Morning Sky, for example, only gets the following spells at level 10: 2/2/2/1; whereas, a paladin gets 3/3/3/3 eventually. Moreover, the maximum turning ability of a Kms is that of a 10th level cleric. By way of contrast, the paladin can achieve the turning ability of an 18th level cleric (or a 17th level cleric, if one uses the 3.5 abomination).

By the way, in a totally unrelated vein, when is S&S going to redo the incarnate?

Last edited:

Brennin Magalus

First Post
Nightfall said:
The Incarnate has been redo for 3.0. I don't know about 3.5, if that's what you're referring to Brennin.

Check HERE!

Oodalolly! Thank you (for this and also for answering my question about R&R 3). Any word about a Mithril Knight redo?

sword-dancer

Explorer
I would say, not knowing the goldne knight PrC, as a specialication kind of Paladin.
BTW i´ve the ide the Paladin didn`t work best as core class, butr as Template to the core classes.

So you could have an Palaidn Wizard, Paladin Rogue, or Paladin Bard etc

rpgHQ

First Post
Paladin should have been a PrC from the get go in 3.0 in my opinion, they went to the trouble of making the blackguard the antithesis to paladin a PrC so Paladin should have been the same way.

In my campaigns Paladin is not an allowed class, there are 'mystic' knightly PrC's and for each deity there are tailored paladin-like 'divine champion' PrC's. So abilities are not always the same, and it allows for paladins outside the Lawful Good framework. A player has to state their working towards that for their char or I'll determine through their characters action during game session if they might qualify for one of the 'divine champion' paladin PrC's, in either case theres quests and other things they have to do in game to get the PrC, be it wanting to enter one of the mystic knightly orders or their gods choosing them as a champion. So far we have taken existing knight/paladin PrC's and adjusted them to incorporate features of the paladin class when a player is interested in a specific one, and if its as a 'divine champion' we tend to go over it as a group and determine the PrC's abilities so everyone is happy about the play balance, but even then we are mostly just adjusting one of the cleric/divine type PrC's with some Paladin type abilities that would fit for a specific deity. So not all 'paladins' in our three playgroups have lay on hands for example. Well out of 17 players theres only 3 paladin-like characters right now, 2 are what I call mystic knights and one is a divine champion and everyone is happy with the adjustments we made tot he PrC's we adapted.

I'll admit that this approach might not work in all campaigns, but so far everyone seems happy with the compromise.

Ferret

Explorer
Find the lowest level it can be atained by, then replace all of what goes after that level on the paladin PrC with gold knight.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads